Old September 20th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Problems when making a new book with crafty v20.14

I'm trying to set up my crafty engine with a new opening book to study.
When I use the book command (I use book create filename.pgn 20 40 60,
in this case on a file with 2000 games roughly), and try to play
afterwords I get some errors. Winboard pops up saying it can't load
crafty, and in crafty I get the error:

ERROR! book.bin not made by version 17.0 or later

I don't know what's up, any ideas?

Old September 21st 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:

ERROR! book.bin not made by version 17.0 or later

I don't know what's up, any ideas?

You don't happen to have used an older version of crafty to build
the book? Did you used the same binary that Winboard uses?

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Old September 21st 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Anders Thulin wrote:
wrote:

ERROR! book.bin not made by version 17.0 or later

I don't know what's up, any ideas?

You don't happen to have used an older version of crafty to build
the book? Did you used the same binary that Winboard uses?

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~ath

No, I don't have an older version, would you happen to know where I
could find one?

I'm not really sure how to find out that second part. What do I have
to do?

Old September 21st 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Jordon wrote:

No, I don't have an older version, would you happen to know where I
could find one?

You misunderstood -- I wondered if you had inadvertently used
an older version of cfarfty to build the book file.

I have sometimes had Winboard configured to use one version of crafty,
but used another when I created book.bin, or examined something manually,
and got confused when Winboard have me one output and the manual invocation
of crafty another. It occurred to me that perhaps you had done the same
thing -- that would perhaps have accounted for the problem.

I'm not really sure how to find out that second part. What do I have
to do?

Check that the crafty binary you've configured Winboard to use
also is the one you used when you created the book. If you used a different
binary (even if you believe it should be the same), create the book
again with the Winboard crafty.

If that doesn't get rid of the problem, check that you didn't geta disk
full situation while the book was created. Beyond that, I have no ideas.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Old September 21st 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Nope, used 20.14 for it. No data disk problems, and I actually have
other problems. If I have the computer play games as a guest on an
ICS, it will eventually just error out. Winboard says something about
can't load the engine, but it's already played like 5 games.

Also, with crafty.rc, I type in log off, and hit enter, and it all
works, but the logs don't turn off.

Ugh, it's frustrating.