Old December 15th 03, 03:40 AM
Bobby C.

Default When does Playchess start calculating ratings...?

I recently purchased Fritz 8 and just this week decided to activate an
account on Playchess.com. I've played a couple of rated blitz games (10
minutes) and won against some rated players. I've also played a few
non-rated games (boy this is fun and nerve-wracking!!!). My rating still
shows zero. Is there a certain number of games played or frequency before
the ratings kick in or is there an account setting I'm missing. Thanks!

This Internet chess arena is a real kick in the pants and a lot of fun. I
wish I had started sooner but better late then never...

--

Bobby C.
Proper reply address is without the text -REMOVE-

Old December 15th 03, 08:04 AM
Damir Ulovec

It should be three rated games per one "class" (Bullet, Blitz, Slow, Computer,
Centaur).

news:[email protected]_s53...

Old December 15th 03, 08:29 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Damir Ulovec wrote:
It should be three rated games per one "class" (Bullet, Blitz, Slow,
Computer, Centaur).

You will remain provisional for more than 20 games. Also, the OP should
make sure that he is playing rated games, not just games again rated
players.

Tom Veldhouse

Old December 17th 03, 10:11 AM
HD

I only played 3 games before I got my first rating. It probably depends
on opposition rating and results. But maybe its changed now..?!

HD

Old December 17th 03, 02:31 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

HD wrote:
I only played 3 games before I got my first rating. It probably
depends on opposition rating and results. But maybe its changed
now..?!

It is a provisional rating (if somebody loses to you, it doesn't hurt their
rating as much). To get a full rating it takes more than 20 games.

Tom Veldhouse

Old December 17th 03, 07:40 PM
Bobby C.

Damir Ulovec wrote:
It should be three rated games per one "class" (Bullet, Blitz, Slow,
Computer, Centaur).

"Bobby C." wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
I recently purchased Fritz 8 and just this week decided to activate
an account on Playchess.com. I've played a couple of rated blitz
games (10 minutes) and won against some rated players. I've also
played a few non-rated games (boy this is fun and
nerve-wracking!!!). My rating still shows zero. Is there a certain
number of games played or frequency before the ratings kick in or is
there an account setting I'm missing. Thanks!

This Internet chess arena is a real kick in the pants and a lot of
fun. I wish I had started sooner but better late then never...

--

Bobby C.
Proper reply address is without the text -REMOVE-

Thanks to all for the answers. I completed my third game and a rating
appeared. Now onto the 20 game threshold...!

Old December 17th 03, 08:31 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Bobby C. wrote:

Thanks to all for the answers. I completed my third game and a rating
appeared. Now onto the 20 game threshold...!

It might be higher IIRC. I believe it bases it on the standard deviation of
your rating. When it quits changing dramatically (but at least 20 games),
it will remove the provisional rating. I am not 100% sure that is the case
with Playchess, but it definitely is the case with ICC.

Tom Veldhouse