Old September 21st 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Convert screen shot to PGN

Can it be done?
Old September 21st 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Terry wrote:
Can it be done?

Under very special circumstances.

Use a screenshot capable OCR engine, like ABBYY Screenshot Reader.
That will give you the score in reasonably clear text -- you may
have to train the engine, and you may have adjust the screen to show
best resolution possible.

Feed result to a *good* PGN converter. Can't help you here ...
'Format' may help you, but if the screenshot is in descriptive notation,
you're probably out of luck. (If it's in figurine notation, you will
need an trainable OCR engine.)

If you're a good typist, you probably type the score faster.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Old September 22nd 06, 11:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Terry wrote:
Can it be done?

To clarify, do you want to convert a diagram to FEN or a list of moves
to PGN? Either should, in theory, be possible but the effort required
to do so would almost certainly exceed the effort of manual
transcription unless you had many thousands of screenshots.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Evil Sadistic Dish (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a fine ceramic dish but it wants to

Old September 22nd 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

David Richerby wrote:
Terry wrote:
Can it be done?

To clarify, do you want to convert a diagram to FEN or a list of moves
to PGN? Either should, in theory, be possible but the effort required
to do so would almost certainly exceed the effort of manual
transcription unless you had many thousands of screenshots.

Dave.

I was looking up some common mating positions. Many of the web pages I
was searching showed a picture of the starting position. This is what
prompted the question.

I know that PGN is the "standard" I had never heard of FEN, but I
gather by your reply that a FEN is what I am seeking. It is a shame
that online sources don't include both.

What I wanted to be able to do was load the current position (from a
pic) into chessmaster and practice executing the mates.

I also remember reading in a book long ago of a series of common mating
positions. Most of which were attacking the castled position for both
sides.
I think just practicing these would help my game. I never got a rating
from Blitzin but I would say I was a rookie. I could expect a good
game with 1300-1400 players.