Old December 15th 03, 03:00 PM
Sandy Breon

Default ICC user interfaces

Are there any ICC user interfaces that are close in appearance to
USChessLive's graphical user interface? USChessLive has the most visually
appealing and most modern looking graphical user interface in my opinion,
although it lacks a couple of features. It would be nice to be able to use
it for ICC, but I think that it is proprietary.

Thanks,
Sandy

Old December 15th 03, 06:38 PM
Henri H. Arsenault

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:00:24 GMT, "Sandy Breon"
wrote:

Are there any ICC user interfaces that are close in appearance to
USChessLive's graphical user interface? USChessLive has the most visually
appealing and most modern looking graphical user interface in my opinion,
although it lacks a couple of features. It would be nice to be able to use
it for ICC, but I think that it is proprietary.

ICC's free interface is Blitzin2 which is not bad, but not as
congenial as the Fritz interface for Playchess, but of course you need
Fritz or some other Chessbase product for the latter, whereas Blitzin
is free.

I don't think it has much to do with proprietary interfaces, since
there is another ICC interface for the Mac that I believe is not made
by ICC. Seems to me it is more a question of compatibility with the
server software. It would be nice if all the chess sites used the same
interface. They could share the cost and make it freeware.

Although I like ICC because it has a lot of people and features, and
does not tolerate cheaters who use computers pretending to be humans,
its interface feels like it was written for the Osborne computer.

Henri
Old December 15th 03, 06:48 PM
Sandy Breon

Henri,

Thanks for your response. I currently use Blitzin2 and most of the chess
sets are very pixelly, and it looks like an old interface.

I'll try to look for some screenshots of the Fritz interface for Playchess.

Thanks,
Sandy

Old December 16th 03, 05:02 PM
JVarsoke

"Sandy Breon" wrote in message et...
Henri,

Thanks for your response. I currently use Blitzin2 and most of the chess
sets are very pixelly, and it looks like an old interface.

I'll try to look for some screenshots of the Fritz interface for Playchess.

If you want pretty you might want to look at Thief. It can be used on
FICS (free), ICC and USCL.

http://www.chessville.com/misc/misc_...aces_thief.htm

I've found the Playchess interface expensive and clumsy. Not to
mention the server seems down a lot.

-j
Old December 17th 03, 03:13 AM
Robert Pawlak

While not as visually appealing as USCL, the ICC interface in Chess Assistant 7
has the most features of any existing client.

Bob Pawlak (remove 1et.tw to e-mail)
Chess Assistance
http://www.chessassistance.com
Chess Reviews