Old December 15th 03, 07:38 PM
Marcel Alsemgeest

Default how to make a backup copy of Fritz 8?

I am the owner of an original Fritz 8 cd, and I would like to make a backup
copy of it. But when I try to copy it, my computer always hangs when trying
to copy the file Fritz8.pro, and I'll have to reboot my PC. Very good copy
protection ofcourse, well done Chessbase, but it is very annoying as well.
And because in this newgroup I've read a lot about people having copied
versions and using cracks etc, there must be a way to copy the Fritz 8 cd.
But how? Does anyone know?

Marcel

Old December 15th 03, 07:50 PM
Kerry Liles

Have you considered emailing ChessBase and asking them what their policy is
in the situation where your original CD is damaged, lost, flakey etc.? I
took a quick look at their site, but dont see that information readily
available (I wish all vendors would just volunteer that information). I
suspect that they would replace the media (perhaps for S&H? how much?)
assuming that you can prove you bought it (ie: you are in their records?)

Old December 15th 03, 08:48 PM
Marcel Alsemgeest

"Marcel Alsemgeest" wrote in message
I am the owner of an original Fritz 8 cd, and I would like to make a

backup
copy of it. But when I try to copy it, my computer always hangs when

trying
to copy the file Fritz8.pro, and I'll have to reboot my PC. Very good

copy
protection ofcourse, well done Chessbase, but it is very annoying as

well.
And because in this newgroup I've read a lot about people having copied
versions and using cracks etc, there must be a way to copy the Fritz 8

cd.
But how? Does anyone know?

Marcel

"Kerry Liles" schreef in bericht

Have you considered emailing ChessBase and asking them what their policy

is
in the situation where your original CD is damaged, lost, flakey etc.? I
took a quick look at their site, but dont see that information readily
available (I wish all vendors would just volunteer that information). I
suspect that they would replace the media (perhaps for S&H? how much?)
assuming that you can prove you bought it (ie: you are in their records?)

Ofcourse I can prove that I bought it, i've registered my copy with
ChessBase, and replacing the disc would be a solution in case of damage etc,
f they do that, but it would be a hassle. Then you need to come up with
prove, send them the disc, wait days or probably weeks for a new disc etc.
It would be much easier if I can just make a backup copy for myself, of my
original self-bought Fritz cd. That is a completely legitimate thing to do.
I have lots of other original game cd's, and I can make backup copies of all
of them without problems. Fritz is the only cd that seems to be s copy
protected that I can't even just transfer all the files to my harddisk. Or
at least, the file "Fritz8.pro" is the one that I can't copy. So the real
question is: how to copy Fritz8.pro to my harddisk?

Old December 15th 03, 09:34 PM
Curtist Thetford

Speaking as a Fritz 6 owner, I seem to recall that after I got everything
copied except for the one "bad" file (I don't recall the name), the
resulting CD was actually perfectly usable. I keep the copy in my office
for lunch-time games and the original at home. I don't know if they have
"fixed" that loophole in subsequent releases or not.

Old December 15th 03, 10:33 PM
CeeBee

"Marcel Alsemgeest" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

I am the owner of an original Fritz 8 cd, and I would like to make a
backup copy of it. But when I try to copy it, my computer always hangs
when trying to copy the file Fritz8.pro, and I'll have to reboot my
PC. Very good copy protection ofcourse, well done Chessbase, but it is
very annoying as well. And because in this newgroup I've read a lot
about people having copied versions and using cracks etc, there must
be a way to copy the Fritz 8 cd. But how? Does anyone know?

Try CloneCD, although I always wonder why people want to make backups of
their CD-Roms. I have bought hundreds of them over the last ten years and
never ended up with a faulty one.
After using them, I put them back in their case or their sleeve and they
never get damaged. Even intensive use and much carrying around I wasn't
able to damage one at all.

I even have quite some useless ones - mostly commercial and demo CD's, or
the annoying (once) CompuServe sign-up ones - I use as coaster, and even
those are still in perfect health after I curiously tried them out after
the beating of much coke-, beer- and wine glasses.

Worse, the _only_ CD-Roms that occanionally screw up are file backup CD-
Roms I burn _myself_. But YMMV.

And maybe your "faulty" backup might be working after all. Did you try it
out, or did you dump the CD in the trash can without testing it?

Good luck anyhow.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old December 15th 03, 11:57 PM
Pete

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.72...
Try CloneCD, although I always wonder why people want to make backups of
their CD-Roms. I have bought hundreds of them over the last ten years and
never ended up with a faulty one.
After using them, I put them back in their case or their sleeve and they
never get damaged. Even intensive use and much carrying around I wasn't
able to damage one at all.

Well, I wish that my copy of Fritz 6, that now has 4 radial cracks in it
after packing it for a business trip in my laptop case, in the original cd
case, had so much luck. I sure do wish I had a copy of that one now...

Seriously, people who travel extensively with a laptop instead of working on
a desktop machine all the time can find cd "refueling" copy protection to be
a major headache.

Pete

Old December 16th 03, 01:26 AM
Fortknight

You can try alcohol 120% www.alcohol-software.com

Old December 16th 03, 02:01 AM
Chuck in Minot

I do not know if this will work, but perhaps you could try to make a ghost
image of the disk using Norton's Ghost, and save that disk image to your HD,
and then have Ghost burn that back down to a CD.

Old December 16th 03, 02:22 AM
CeeBee

"Pete" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

Seriously, people who travel extensively with a laptop instead of
working on a desktop machine all the time can find cd "refueling" copy
protection to be a major headache.

VirtualCD can be a solution to CD refueling. BTW, Fritz doesn't ask for a
refuel, but that aside.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old December 16th 03, 05:04 AM
Mogath3

I am the owner of an original Fritz 8 cd, and I would like to make a backup
copy of it. But when I try to copy it, my computer always hangs when trying
to copy the file Fritz8.pro, and I'll have to reboot my PC. Very good copy
protection ofcourse, well done Chessbase, but it is very annoying as well.
And because in this newgroup I've read a lot about people having copied
versions and using cracks etc, there must be a way to copy the Fritz 8 cd.
But how? Does anyone know?

I don't have Fritz 8, but I have Fritz 7. I copied that with no problem using
RecordNow. Worked great. Matter of fact I copied the CD before I even used it.
I installed with the copy to make sure it worked. All went well.

Regards,
Jeff