Old December 16th 03, 04:02 PM
David Hodson

Default Help with Chessmaster 8000 please

I have Chessmaster 8000 with Windows 95.

I'm having difficulty in loading ASCII move lists saved in .txt format from
games elsewhere.

CM 8000 help file says this:

To open the Move List

1 From the File menu, choose Load. The File Open dialog appears.
2 From the Look In drop-down list, specify the folder that contains the Move
List you want to open.
3 From the File of Type drop-down list, choose Text File (*.TXT).
4 Select the Move List you want to open, and then click Load. Chessmaster
opens the Move List in the specified tab on the Annotation Window.
5 If the Annotation Window isn't open, choose Annotation from the Windows
Menu, and then click the tab to which the Move List was opened.

My problem is that after Step 3 I'm only offered the choice of loading Board
Position or Forsyth Board Position - neither of which applies.

With my old CM 4000 I didn't have this problem and it was easy to import
saved move lists.

Any help to enable me to load these move lists in CM 8000 much appreciated.

Old December 16th 03, 10:47 PM
John Merlino

"David Hodson" wrote in message ...
I have Chessmaster 8000 with Windows 95.

I'm having difficulty in loading ASCII move lists saved in .txt format from
games elsewhere.

CM 8000 help file says this:

To open the Move List

1 From the File menu, choose Load. The File Open dialog appears.
2 From the Look In drop-down list, specify the folder that contains the Move
List you want to open.
3 From the File of Type drop-down list, choose Text File (*.TXT).
4 Select the Move List you want to open, and then click Load. Chessmaster
opens the Move List in the specified tab on the Annotation Window.
5 If the Annotation Window isn't open, choose Annotation from the Windows
Menu, and then click the tab to which the Move List was opened.

My problem is that after Step 3 I'm only offered the choice of loading Board
Position or Forsyth Board Position - neither of which applies.

With my old CM 4000 I didn't have this problem and it was easy to import
saved move lists.

Any help to enable me to load these move lists in CM 8000 much appreciated.

The help file is in error about this. The support for ASCII move lists
was removed in CM8000 in preference for PGN files. Here is what the
online FAQ says:

Q: What happened to the ASCII Move List support, and what is the PGN
game format?
A: ASCII Move List (i.e. a text file containing a list of the game's
moves) support was removed in favor of support for the PGN format
only. PGN stands for "Portable Game Notation" and is a standardized
way of expressing a game's move list and annotations and is understood
by most chess applications and websites around the world. The ASCII
Move List support was peculiar to Chessmaster only, and games saved in
that format were not easily moved from Chessmaster to a different
chess application without at least some modification by the user.
It is known that several programs (and online chess websites such as
Yahoo and Excite) used (and may still use) a form of ASCII Move List
that does not conform to the PGN standard. It is likely that games
from these programs/sites will not be readable by Chessmaster 8000.

jm
Old December 17th 03, 10:55 AM
David Hodson

"John Merlino" wrote in message
om...
"David Hodson" wrote in message

I have Chessmaster 8000 with Windows 95.

I'm having difficulty in loading ASCII move lists saved in .txt format

from
games elsewhere.

CM 8000 help file says this:

To open the Move List

1 From the File menu, choose Load. The File Open dialog appears.
2 From the Look In drop-down list, specify the folder that contains the

Move
List you want to open.
[...]

A: ASCII Move List (i.e. a text file containing a list of the game's
moves) support was removed in favor of support for the PGN format
only. PGN stands for "Portable Game Notation" and is a standardized
way of expressing a game's move list and annotations and is understood
by most chess applications and websites around the world. The ASCII
Move List support was peculiar to Chessmaster only, and games saved in
that format were not easily moved from Chessmaster to a different
chess application without at least some modification by the user.
It is known that several programs (and online chess websites such as
Yahoo and Excite) used (and may still use) a form of ASCII Move List
that does not conform to the PGN standard. It is likely that games
from these programs/sites will not be readable by Chessmaster 8000.

jm

Thanks. That explains it.

DH