Old December 16th 03, 06:54 PM
Mike

Default New longest mate found

Has there been a new longest forced mate found with the new 6 piece Nalimov
tablebases? The longest mate with the 5 piece was 127, if I remember
correctly. Has this increased and if so for which piece combination(s)?

Thanks,

Mike
Old December 17th 03, 11:44 AM
Thomas Müthing

Mike schrieb:

Has there been a new longest forced mate found with the new 6 piece Nalimov
tablebases?

Hopefully, nobody wasted their time trying to find it ...

Thomas

Old December 17th 03, 10:20 PM
Mark Houlsby

Mike wrote in message ...
Has there been a new longest forced mate found with the new 6 piece Nalimov
tablebases? The longest mate with the 5 piece was 127, if I remember
correctly. Has this increased and if so for which piece combination(s)?

Thanks,

Mike

"Secrets of Pawnless Endings" by John Nunn gives this position as
mate in 243(!):

White: Kc7 Rb7 Nb8
Black: Kg1 Nf2 Nf6

White to play

Mark
Old December 18th 03, 06:38 PM
John Merlino

Thomas Müthing wrote in message ...
Mike schrieb:

Has there been a new longest forced mate found with the new 6 piece Nalimov
tablebases?

Hopefully, nobody wasted their time trying to find it ...

Thomas

There is no wasted time, at least with the de Koning format that is
used in the Chessmaster series. I don't know about the generator for
the Nalimov format, but with the de Koning format, each tablebase has
a log file which shows (among other things), the longest mate in that
file.

I'm not sure about exact positions, but I'm pretty sure that at least
one mate 250 moves has been found. There is one guy named Marc
Bourzhutsky (sp?) that has generated MANY of the more important 6-man
files for testing theoretical positions -- I believe he has archived
several dozen DVDs worth of data at this time.

jm
Old December 19th 03, 08:01 PM
dan foley

Has there been a new longest forced mate found with the new 6 piece Nalimov
tablebases?

Hopefully, nobody wasted their time trying to find it ...

Thomas

There is a certain arrogance in this statement. You presume to know
what is worthwhile or interesting not just for yourself, but for all
the rest of us?

If you don't find tablebases or 'longest mates' interesting, try
reading and responding to another post you DO find interesting and
worthwhile.