Old December 17th 03, 06:22 AM
pthfndr

Default Chess computer with 68000 CPU

Hello, World

I'm looking for chess computer with 68000 CPU :

Mephisto Amsterdam, Dallas, Rome, Almeria, Portorose, Lyon ....
Fidelity Excel 68000, Mach II, Mach III, Mach IV...
Novag Scorpio, Diablo.

Thank you to send me your proposition at

And I'm looking for Wchess from Kittinger (software PC) too.

Thanks.
Old December 17th 03, 09:50 PM
Chuck in Minot

I do not know what the CPU in my old chess computer is, but it is a Fidelity
2100 Designer Chess Challenger model 6103. I have always wanted to know
more about its CPU and system. Let me know if you find out anything about
it.

Old December 17th 03, 10:49 PM
DMB

According to a chart I have from Fidelity, from when I bought a 2100
Designer Display (model 6106, similar to yours), that model has a Motorola
6502 processor running at 5 MHz. It has 32K ROM and 8K RAM, and 16,000 ply
opening book.

Darryl

That is not quite the same model as yours, but I suspect it's the same
processor.

Old December 17th 03, 11:45 PM
Derek Wildstar

"DMB" wrote in message

According to a chart I have from Fidelity, from when I bought a 2100
Designer Display (model 6106, similar to yours), that model has a Motorola
6502 processor running at 5 MHz. It has 32K ROM and 8K RAM, and 16,000

ply
opening book.

Darryl

To add further nostalgia, I believe that program will also run with
modification on the same 65C02 of the venerable Apple IIc. Oh, the days of
writing your own complier in hex, to run Assembly!

Was there not a "Sargon" chess series that was exactly that? Wow, look what
google uncovered:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/8370/chess.htm

Old December 18th 03, 08:03 AM
pthfndr

"pthfndr" wrote in message
Hello, World

I'm looking for chess computer with 68000 CPU :

Mephisto Amsterdam, Dallas, Rome, Almeria, Portorose, Lyon ....
Fidelity Excel 68000, Mach II, Mach III, Mach IV...
Novag Scorpio, Diablo.

Thank you to send me your proposition at

And I'm looking for Wchess from Kittinger (software PC) too.

Thanks.

Hi Darryl,

I have a Par excellence, and I have many reasons to beleive that is
exactly the same program
in the Designer 2100 (the display is the difference, I think).
Thank you very much for your response, and for your time to searching
these informations.

Fidelity ;-)

Pthfndr.

Old December 18th 03, 08:08 AM
pthfndr

Derek Wildstar a écrit :

"DMB" wrote in message

According to a chart I have from Fidelity, from when I bought a 2100
Designer Display (model 6106, similar to yours), that model has a Motorola
6502 processor running at 5 MHz. It has 32K ROM and 8K RAM, and 16,000

ply
opening book.

Darryl

To add further nostalgia, I believe that program will also run with
modification on the same 65C02 of the venerable Apple IIc. Oh, the days of
writing your own complier in hex, to run Assembly!

Was there not a "Sargon" chess series that was exactly that? Wow, look what
google uncovered:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/8370/chess.htm

Hi,

The Sargon II is the grand-grand...-grand father of the Par Excellence,
and the designer.
The Sargon II have only 8 Ko ROM, and the Par/Designer 2100 32 Ko.
Both are made by the famous Kathe and Dan Spracklen.

Greetings.
Old December 18th 03, 08:11 PM
Chuck in Minot

Thank you, I'm still hoping to find the specs on my machine one day. I am
very proud of my old 2100 6103 chess computer and have played thousands of
games on it over the years, and it still works like a champ, and plays good
solid chess, and never blunders or locks up and so forth. Talk about well
built and put together. I think I bought it in the late 80s, and at the
time it was one of the very best chess computer you could get, and it won
just about every single chess tournament held over several years back in the
day, and its actual rating was somewhere around in the 2400s, which I have
no idea why they didn't put that on the box as a selling point. To buy a
2400 chess computer back then, you would have to take out a bank loan or
sell a kidney.

So far I have been able to decline all offers to buy my old and dear friend,
you just can't simply buy anything like it now a days. It plays fun chess
as well, and you just never know what it is going to do.

,