Old December 18th 03, 02:22 AM
Justin Sané

Default Majestic Chess - Post-update Frustrations

On Win98SE using 2D mode as per support
page at majesticchess.com because this
is a Compaq Presario with on board video.

After weeks of single-player and
adventure play, we tried the multi-player
option for only the second time. Created
a new user with password, and then clicked
on Connect.

As mentioned on the support page, there
was a prompt for an update (3.46 MB)
file. After the download and upon executing
the update the program has become an
exercise in frustration.

Locks up every time when signing on to
multi-player. The log file had a lot of [ERROR]
statements. So, the machine was rebooted,
connected to the ISP, and as soon as Connect
is clicked, the machine locks up. This time no
ERROR statements in the log file, and I get
TCP/IP errors when connecting to the ISP IF
I do not reboot after these MC sessions.

There is nothong on Sierra or the MCsite about
this behavior.

Please help.

Old December 18th 03, 06:30 PM
John Merlino

"Justin Sané" wrote in message ...
[...]

Send an e-mail to with a complete
description of the problem AND include any log files that might be
applicable to the problem.

jm
Old December 18th 03, 08:13 PM
Justin Sané

Thank you for your reply.

Subsequent to my post, MC has been
uninstalled then reinstalled. Upon connecting
to the server using Multi-Player mode, there
is the prompt to update. If the update is not
selected, the program kicks one out to the main
menu: SP/Adv/MP

I will download the file and apply the update
again. If the problem with MP mode recurs,
I will follow your instructions.

Question: The program prompts to apply the
update as soon as the file has been downloaded.
Can I run the file update after exiting the
program and disconnecting from the ISP? Or,
does the 'net connection need to be active
when the update is applied.

If I can disconnect and apply the update, what
do I need to do?

I am posting these questions here because I
would like to have all the bugs worked out by
Christmas morning for my kids, and I do not
have great faith in receiving timely replies from

Thank you,

Justin

Old December 19th 03, 02:15 AM
John Merlino

[...]

Yes, you can disconnect from your ISP before running the patch
program, but there is no reason to do so. Actually, the way the whole
process works is this:

1) When attempting to connect to the multiplayer, the program checks
for upgrades.
2) If it finds an upgrade, the program prompts you if you want to
download it. If you say no, you are automatically exited from
multiplayer, as you discovered. If you say yes, then the download
begins immediately.
3) After the download is finished, you are asked if you want to
install the upgrade. You should definitely answer YES here. When you
answer yes, the program is automatically exited and the Fluent
Entertainment patch program is launched. This program will ALSO ask
you if you want to install the upgrade, and once again you should
answer YES.
4) The patch will only take a few seconds, and then Majestic Chess
will automatically be launched again.

That's all there is to it. I suspect that there might have been a
problem the first time around because you interrupted the upgrade
process in some unexpected way.

Either way, if you do the above, you should be fine.

jm

p.s. In this case, the "[email protected]" for Majestic Chess is
yours truly, and I check my work e-mail much more often than I go to
this board, so....
Old December 19th 03, 11:28 PM
Justin Sané

Follow up mail sent to the support e-mail address.

om...