Old December 18th 03, 01:10 PM
Tom Mueller

Default More problems that stump computers -- try this one

Here's one http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1319

The commentary reads:
Computers have always been unable to avoid the disasterous move 1.bxa5.
Taking the rook simply allows Black to open up the blocked pawn chain
and win the game with the remaining extra material. Naturally the
correct strategy for White is to ignore the rook offer and simply
shuffle his king around. Black can do nothing with his three pieces
behind the pawn wall. David Norwood notes, as part of his extended test,
that Fritz 8 thinks the above position is hopelessly lost for White
(minus 12.06); but given enough time the program actually refrains from
taking the rook. Kudos to Fritz.

Would people mind confirming w/ strong engines that this does not, in
fact, compute?

Best,
Tom

Old December 18th 03, 01:51 PM
Seymore Butts

That one is old. Try this one.

8/3pk3/4p1bB/4Pp2/p4Pp1/6P1/3P1K1P/8 w - - 0 1

In the position after white's fifth move all programs consider black to be
winning.
..
White to play and Draw
[V. Smyslov]

1.Bg5+ [ 1.d4? loses to 1...Kf7] 1...Ke8 [ After 1...Kf7 2.Bd8 a3 3.Ba5 a2
4.Bc3 the bishop gets back in time to stop the pawn.] 2.d4 a3 3.d5 a2 [
3...exd5 is met by 4.e6 with the idea of Bf6, which is also a draw, as white
covers all the important squares on the a1- h8 diagonal.] 4.d6 a1Q 5.Kg2 The
position is drawn. Note that 5...Qa8+ 6.Kg1 Qd8 changes nothing. After
7.Bxd8 Kxd8 black's K escapes the prison, but he will still not be able to
win thw h2-pawn with the K alone, and the black B cannot be activated.
1/2-1/2

Old December 18th 03, 02:07 PM
Seymore Butts

Or even look at this one in which program still think they are winning.

8/5K2/8/8/5N2/4p3/3qN2k/8 w - - 0

Old December 18th 03, 05:52 PM
Simon

.. .

Rebel 12.00.01 finds Kc2 after 19 ply @ 28.6 secs on an Athlon 2200+

Old December 18th 03, 07:49 PM
Chuck in Minot

WOW!! Hey I just confirmed your findings with Rebel 12 DOS on my machine as
well.
On my old Celeron 400Mhz it played Kc1
Rebel 12 DOS is once again just amazing, and FREE!!!

Say what does it rate itself on your machine??
In spite of my machine only being a Celeron
400Mzh it still rates itself pretty high at 2611..

Please RSVP and let me know what it rates itself on
your machine...

Thanks!!!

u...

Old December 19th 03, 02:47 AM
Simon

"Chuck in Minot" wrote in message
WOW!! Hey I just confirmed your findings with Rebel 12 DOS on my machine

as
well.
On my old Celeron 400Mhz it played Kc1
Rebel 12 DOS is once again just amazing, and FREE!!!

Say what does it rate itself on your machine??
In spite of my machine only being a Celeron
400Mzh it still rates itself pretty high at 2611..

Please RSVP and let me know what it rates itself on
your machine...

Thanks!!!

"Simon" wrote in message
u...
"Tom Mueller" wrote in message
.. .
Here's one http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1319

Would people mind confirming w/ strong engines that this does not, in
fact, compute?

Best,
Tom

Rebel 12.00.01 finds Kc2 after 19 ply @ 28.6 secs on an Athlon 2200+

Hi Chuck,

This is the commercial version 12.00.01, which comes with Chesspartner 5.3
of Rebel. AFAIK, it doesn't show any rating score. Which of course the
free version does. However, a great buy, and you can of course run other
engines under the interface such as Ruffian 1.0.5 and Crafty 19.8 (freshly
compiled!)

All the best

Simon

Old December 19th 03, 03:04 AM
Simon

"Chuck in Minot" wrote in message
Please RSVP and let me know what it rates itself on
your machine...

I have a second PC which runs the Rebel DOS program, it is s 670Mhz PIII and
it shows 2677 as its rating when Rebel runs. Although, I have always had a
distinct mistrust of computer generated ratings, but this is an obviously
strong program.

Cheers!

Simon

Old December 19th 03, 03:46 AM
Simon

"Nanga Parbat" wrote in message
. ..

Even more kudos to Shredder7. It instantly suggest Kc1 with a score of
=+ -0.31)
Nanga

Does it not consider the capture at all? What settings for Shredder 7 and
PC specs are you running?

Regards

Simon

Old December 19th 03, 04:11 AM
Simon

"Kerry Liles" wrote in message
Does anyone have a link to download the free Rebel 12? I did not find it
on the site..

Here you go Kerry....

http://members.home.nl/matador/chess810.htm

All the best