Old December 22nd 03, 05:26 AM
matt -`;'-

Default Standalone Chess Computer

Hi, I would like to know what some of you think about standalone chess
computers. I haven't looked at any in a while and was thinking about
getting one if it has the features that i want. I would like to find one
that has a decent set of move buttons - something that allows you to enter
algrebraic notation easily and have decent quality buttons. It could
include its own board or not. I have plenty of boards. I am not looking
for one of those hand-held types with the LCD chess pieces and board, but
would rather find something that gives me algebraic moves output and I
manually move pieces on a unsimulated board. Thanks for all replies,
--
matt -`;'-

Old December 22nd 03, 09:36 AM
Thomas Müthing

matt -`;'- schrieb:

Hi, I would like to know what some of you think about standalone chess
computers. I haven't looked at any in a while and was thinking about
getting one if it has the features that i want. I would like to find one
that has a decent set of move buttons - something that allows you to enter
algrebraic notation easily and have decent quality buttons. It could
include its own board or not. I have plenty of boards. I am not looking
for one of those hand-held types with the LCD chess pieces and board, but
would rather find something that gives me algebraic moves output and I
manually move pieces on a unsimulated board. Thanks for all replies,
--
matt -`;'-

Get one of the following:

Saitek "Chess Challenger" (was: Centurion), Elo ca. 1950 SSDF(!)
Saitek "Master Chess Computer" (was: Milano Pro), Elo ca. 2100 SSDF (=
2350 USCF)
Novag Star Diamond, Elo ca. 2150 SSDF (2400 USCF)

Each of these comes with a plastic board AND algebraic notation. They're
all decently strong (see game between Star Diamond and Fidelity's strong
USCF 2325 Master (Mach IV) computer) and have a lot of gameplay options.

Thomas

[Event "Duell"]
[Site "Frankfurt"]
[Date "2003.12.15"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Fidelity Designer 2325 Master (A7)"]
[Black "Novag Star Diamond (tr.7)"]
[Result "0-1"]

1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Bf5 5. Ng3 Bg6
6. h4 h6 7. Nf3 Nd7 8. h5 Bh7 9. Bd3 Bxd3 10. Qxd3 Qc7
11. Bd2 e6 12. Qe2 Ngf6 13. O-O-O c5 14. Bc3 O-O-O 15. Ne5
Nd5 16. Bd2 Nxe5 17. dxe5 c4 18. Rh4 c3 19. Bxc3 Nxc3
20. Rxd8+ Kxd8 21. bxc3 Qxc3 22. Kb1 Bc5 23. Rc4 Qa5 24. c3
Ke7 25. Qb2 Bb6 26. Qb4+ Qxb4+ 27. Rxb4 f6 28. a4 Rb8
29. f4 fxe5 30. fxe5 Bc7 31. Re4 Rf8 32. Kc2 Rf2+ 33. Re2
Rxe2+ 34. Nxe2 Bxe5 35. Kd3 b6 36. Kc4 a6 37. Nc1 Kf6
38. Nd3 Bd6 39. Nb4 Bxb4 40. Kxb4 e5 41. Kc4 Kf5 42. Kd3
Kf4 43. Kd2 e4 44. Ke2 b5 45. axb5 axb5 46. Kd2 Kg5 47. Ke3
Kf5 48. g3 Ke5 49. Ke2 Kd5 50. Kd2 Kc4 51. Kc2 e3
0-1

Old December 22nd 03, 10:37 AM
Simon

"matt -`;'-" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hi, I would like to know what some of you think about standalone chess
computers. I haven't looked at any in a while and was thinking about
getting one if it has the features that i want. I would like to find one
that has a decent set of move buttons - something that allows you to enter
algrebraic notation easily and have decent quality buttons. It could
include its own board or not. I have plenty of boards. I am not looking
for one of those hand-held types with the LCD chess pieces and board, but
would rather find something that gives me algebraic moves output and I
manually move pieces on a unsimulated board. Thanks for all replies,
--
matt -`;'-

Hey Matt,

The following URL from a German site is quite good, gives quite a bit of
information about the board, program etc.

http://www.niggemann.com/e/detail/computer/147.html

It has Mephisto, Saitek, Novag etc, etc.

Regards

Simon