Old December 22nd 03, 05:29 PM
kafooey

Default Opinions on Chess Assistant...

Hi all,

I have been looking around for a decent Windows based Chess Database
that will work on my old laptop (Win98SE, 64Mb RAM) to store the various
games I play online, against my Palm and so on so I can go back over
them and hopefully learn... I also want it to store my TWIC database.

While being bored at work this week (basically twiddling my thumbs until
Christmas arrives) I have been playing with the demo of Chess Assistant
and have been mightily impressed. It runs well on my machine at work
except the fonts don't work in XP... It seems to work on 98 though

I've tried ChessBase Light, SCID and ChessPad in the past, and liked
them all for different reasons, but coming from a software development
"techie" background, Chess Assistant seems to be rather nice and full of
goodies... if a little disjointed in places.

Before I start using it in earnest, is there any particular reason
anybody can think of that I should not use Chess Assistant? Is there a
reason I should stick with SCID (apart from it being free and platform
independant) ?

Jonathan
Old December 22nd 03, 10:18 PM
oej

kafooey wrote:

Hi all,

I have been looking around for a decent Windows based Chess Database
that will work on my old laptop (Win98SE, 64Mb RAM) to store the various
games I play online, against my Palm and so on so I can go back over
them and hopefully learn... I also want it to store my TWIC database.

While being bored at work this week (basically twiddling my thumbs until
Christmas arrives) I have been playing with the demo of Chess Assistant
and have been mightily impressed. It runs well on my machine at work

the fonts work fine in XP, but you have to install them.
I don't think any modern database program behaves optimally with a very
small amount of RAM like the 64megs you mentioned. The CA demo that you
have is based on a much earlier version of the program.demo is version5
of chessassistant while the current verion-- a great great product--is
version 7.1 .
If you are serious about keeping your machine, then you ought to buy old
used software on e-bay just so you know it runs.
I don't think I would like using chessassistant with less than 1
gigabyte of ram, if you want to use it the right way, building
professional trees, interactive game analysis,etc.

The best low ram application is definitely chessacademy6. but you may
find it annoying that one need to keep the cd in the drive to do
operations on db.s like adding games or exporting games to pgn.

Old December 23rd 03, 02:57 AM
Robert Pawlak

Shoe-horning CA 7.1 into 64 megs will be difficult. I have 32M f RAM in my
current laptop (win98), and I run CA 6.1 on that. So my recommendation is to
look into CA 6.1 for this particular machine.

Since you state you are a techie, I think you will like CA. It has been written
by software engineers at Moscow State University. There are things it can do
that no other database is capable of (like build trees from large databases).

The fonts display fine on all versions of windows BTW. The previous poster is
correct on that.

Also, the point about a CD being in the drive is very valid. All you need do
with CA is install it, and you won't need the CD again (unless you upgrade; for
CA 6.1, you won't need to do this but once).

I would pick CA 6.1 over ChessAcademy.

For more info and comparisons, see my ChessReviews site.

For CA help articles, FAQ, etc, see my ChessAssistance site.

Bob Pawlak (remove 1et.tw to e-mail)
Chess Assistance
http://www.chessassistance.com
Chess Reviews
http://www.chessreviews.com

Old December 23rd 03, 06:37 AM
oej

Dear Bob,
I think that you are magnifying my minor criticism of chessacademy
beyond recognition. Please allow me to explain myself.
In the case of a laptop with limited memory and no expansion capabilites
for memory, the harddrive does not suffer a similar fate. One can always
pop a new IBM/Toshiba Travelstar hardrive into an old laptop to give it
lots of rom. And this is relevant to my point because disk images of
copy protection key CDs are simple to mount when using software like
clony from eb. So while amateur copy protection schemes are an annoying
incovenience, they should not deter the end-user from enjoying an
excellent and appropriate program for his use like chessacademy6.
Incidently, copy protection is planned to be abandonned in
chessacademy7 but I *doubt* it will be useful for the original poster
(because of his system limitations). And too expensive when compared to
the older software for his explicit purposes.

Old December 23rd 03, 01:35 PM
Robert Pawlak

Hi Oej,

I did not intend to magnify the issue of CD compatibility.

I have no idea of the Chacad CDROM can be imaged and used with some sort of
image mounting routine, like you mention. But, I object to using it (in lieu of
CA) for some other reasons as well. Simply put, I like CA better (standard
disclaimers apply).

Additionally, every version that I have requires that you have a key floppy,
and there are a limited number of installs on that. If Chacad is abandoning
this particular scheme, then that is a _good_ thing.

But in general, I feel that copy protection issues are slightly more important
for laptop users. Many times, if you need to put the CD in the drive, but don't
have it, you're sunk, because you're far from home. And many people don't want
to mess with the various ways to get around the copy protection. Sometimes they
work, sometimes not. It all depends on your tolerance level :-)

Now you might get the feeling that I am trying to magnify the copy protection
issue. This is not the case. I am simply trying to explain why I said what I
did, and provide useful information for the guy that posted orginally.

And BTW, I think there is a lot of useful info in this thread.

Old December 24th 03, 02:18 PM
Robert Pawlak

Not to put too fine a point on this, but....

There are two CA demos floating around on the web. The one available for
download on my site is based on CA 6.1. This is commonly called CALite.

There is yet another demo version of CA also floating around. This one was
based on either CA3.0 or CA 4.0 for windows (I think 3.0).

There is no CA 5.X demo.

CA 6.1 is light years ahead of 3.x or 4.x. There was a huge jump in capability
(and stability) with the 5.x release.

If you look at the "About" box, you can see which one you have.