Old December 23rd 03, 02:44 AM
Robert Pawlak

Default Chess Mentor vs. CT-ART

Joe,

I think that once you use CT-ART for a while, you will find that that the
interface is very streamlined and easy to work with.

While I like both products, I believe that CT-ART is the better choice for
tactics instruction. The reasons a sheer volume of exercises, and the design
of the problems, which really improve calculation abitility. But if you are the
kind of person that values text instruction, then go with Chess Mentor, since
it has the edge there.

There are reviews of both products on my ChessReviews site.
Bob Pawlak (remove 1et.tw to e-mail)
Chess Assistance
http://www.chessassistance.com
Chess Reviews
http://www.chessreviews.com

Old December 23rd 03, 08:34 AM
Odd Gunnar Malin

"Joe Helmick" skrev i melding
I am a beginning player, about 900 rating on ICC, and am interested in

doing a
large number of tactical exercises to help develop my "board vision." I'm
thinking that some of the chess practice software out there might help me.

So, I'm seeking opinions: what do you all think of the selection of

tactical
exercises in the Chess Mentor vs. CT-ART?

I'm not sure how to interprete ICC rating at 900 because I've seen beginners
with this rating and also 'real' 900 players with this rating, but..
There is a third option, Chess Tactics for Beginners. This is also a product
from Convekta (as CT-art) but deal more with pure tactics and could be a
better choice for you.

I'd be hard pressed to come up with a worse user interface than that of

CT-ART,

Hmm... do you have a wooden-like board and ICC-alike pieces (bookuplike).
For me this setup looks nice but the taste is like the ...

but from the demo it seems to have a great selection of tactical

scenarios, with
a good number of variations...

I think the user interface of Chess Mentor is a lot better (though showing

its
age), but wonder if the tactical scenarios are as high in quality and as
numerous...

I haven't seen Chess Mentor so I can't comment on this.

Odd Gunnar

Old December 23rd 03, 01:55 PM
Sandy Breon

Joe,

I can't speak for Chess Mentor, but I have been using CT-ART 3.0 for 9
months and it has done wonders for my tactical ability. I won all three of
my tournament games this past weekend because of tactics.

I am a little surprised that you don't like CT-ART's user interface,
although it is probably a matter of taste. As far as your rating goes,
CT-ART 3.0 may be a little difficult for you, although you should be able to
scratch and claw your way through the first few hundred problems (there are
over a thousand problems in order by difficulty). If you purchase it, my
suggestion would be to go through the first few hundred easy problems (or as
far as you can go until it becomes too difficult), and then start over from
the beginning and go a little bit further, start again and get further, etc.
This is an overlearning concept.

Good luck,
Sandy

"Joe Helmick" wrote in message
I am a beginning player, about 900 rating on ICC, and am interested in

doing a
large number of tactical exercises to help develop my "board vision." I'm
thinking that some of the chess practice software out there might help me.

So, I'm seeking opinions: what do you all think of the selection of

tactical
exercises in the Chess Mentor vs. CT-ART?

I'd be hard pressed to come up with a worse user interface than that of

CT-ART,
but from the demo it seems to have a great selection of tactical

scenarios, with
a good number of variations...

I think the user interface of Chess Mentor is a lot better (though showing

its
age), but wonder if the tactical scenarios are as high in quality and as
numerous...

Any well-considered opinions?

Joe