Old December 24th 03, 12:36 AM
Bobby C.

Default ChessBase 8 trouble with empty removable drives...

I just installed ChessBase 8 on a machine that has a ZIP drive (internal)
and a multi-media device for reading digital camera cards (Sandisk Imagemate
6 in 1 which creates four additional disk drive images). Each of these
device are empty most of the time and up to this moment it's never been a
problem. When I'm in ChessBase (with the current update applied) and I
hover the mouse over the folders list (on the left side of the screen) it
gives an error for each of the devices missing a "disk". I an error message
that says:

"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive
\Device\Harddisk3\DR3".

My options are to Cancel, Try Again or Continue. The message varies only
with the number at the very end of Harddisk and DR. The way I came to this
conclusion was I was noting the numbers were consistent and that the list of
folders on the left would halt on each error. I started thinking it might
be the removable drives. I disconnected the Sandisk Imagemate and put a
disk into the ZIP drive and viola, the problem went away.

Besides the steps I have taken does anyone know a work-around? I'll be
writing ChessBase support next. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance...

--

Bobby C.
Proper reply address is without the text -REMOVE-

Old December 24th 03, 05:00 PM
JGB

Had the same problem with CDRW drives. Installing the latest update
seemed to fix the problem.
Old December 24th 03, 05:38 PM
Bobby C.

JGB wrote:
Had the same problem with CDRW drives. Installing the latest update
seemed to fix the problem.

JGB,

What version are you using? The May 12 2003 upgrade didn't fix it. Is
there a later one?

Old December 24th 03, 10:53 PM
CeeBee

"Bobby C." wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

What version are you using? The May 12 2003 upgrade didn't fix it. Is
there a later one?

December 2, 2003.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old December 24th 03, 11:09 PM
Bobby C.

CeeBee wrote:
"Bobby C." wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

What version are you using? The May 12 2003 upgrade didn't fix it.
Is there a later one?

December 2, 2003.

When I click on the online upgrade it says I have the latest. Going to Help

Old December 25th 03, 02:04 AM
CeeBee

"Bobby C." wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

When I click on the online upgrade it says I have the latest. Going
to Help
| About says May 12 2003. How do I get the December upgrade?

First of all, try upgrading a few time, closing and starting up the
program, trying a new download.

If that doesn't work, you could try to delete the c8.iup -file manually
and retry.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old December 25th 03, 04:52 AM
Bobby C.

CeeBee wrote:
"Bobby C." wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

When I click on the online upgrade it says I have the latest. Going
to Help
About says May 12 2003. How do I get the December upgrade?

First of all, try upgrading a few time, closing and starting up the
program, trying a new download.

If that doesn't work, you could try to delete the c8.iup -file
manually and retry.

That got it finally. I think I was clicking the "Upgrade Now" button in the
popup dialog box before the process had shut down. The upgrade did not fix
the problem but it seems a bit better... Thanks!