Old December 27th 03, 04:06 AM
DMB

Default selective search and Chessmaster 8000

In the Thinking Lines window, it shows the search depth as x/y. I believe
this either means it is being selective, as opposed to full-width, for the
first x ply, and full-width on plies x+1,..., y, or vice versa. Which is
it? The help file says x/y means only examine promising moves for the first
x ply and full-width thereafter. But I think it has it wrong. Am I right?

Thank you,
Darryl

Old December 27th 03, 04:05 PM
John Merlino

"DMB" wrote in message ...
In the Thinking Lines window, it shows the search depth as x/y. I believe
this either means it is being selective, as opposed to full-width, for the
first x ply, and full-width on plies x+1,..., y, or vice versa. Which is
it? The help file says x/y means only examine promising moves for the first
x ply and full-width thereafter. But I think it has it wrong. Am I right?

Thank you,
Darryl

X is the full-width depth, and Y is the "nominal" depth (as Johan
calls it). Basically, all promising moves are searched out to a
MINIMUM depth of Y.

jm