Old December 29th 03, 07:31 AM
Death Eater Dan

Default Castling with promoted rook on K8

Surely you are not allowed to castle with a promoted Rook. But as I
understand it the rules say:
1. Rook cannot have moved.
2. King cannot have moved.
3. King cannot be in check.
4. No peices in the way.

So if a pawn promotes on K8 is it actually allowed to castle? With the king
moving to K3 and rook to K2? I was playing a local game with a bishop on 2nd
rank and opponent insisted that it was a valid move.

Old December 29th 03, 07:33 AM
Death Eater Dan

"Death Eater Dan" wrote in message
u...
Surely you are not allowed to castle with a promoted Rook. But as I
understand it the rules say:
1. Rook cannot have moved.
2. King cannot have moved.
3. King cannot be in check.
4. No peices in the way.

4 should be in cover or occupied by a hostile peice.
I had no peices in any cover of K row.

Old December 29th 03, 07:45 AM
Anders Thulin

Death Eater Dan wrote:
Surely you are not allowed to castle with a promoted Rook. But as I
understand it the rules say:
1. Rook cannot have moved.
2. King cannot have moved.
3. King cannot be in check.
4. No peices in the way.

You chose to ignore the rule that both pieces must also be
on the same rank? Or are you referring to some other rules
than the current FIDE Laws of Chess?

--
Anders Thulin http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Old December 29th 03, 07:47 AM
Sidney Cadot

Death Eater Dan wrote:

Surely you are not allowed to castle with a promoted Rook. But as I
understand it the rules say:
1. Rook cannot have moved.
2. King cannot have moved.
3. King cannot be in check.
4. No peices in the way.

So if a pawn promotes on K8 is it actually allowed to castle?

Assuming that by K8 you mean e8 in algebraic notation, we're talking
about a vertical castling move here. An interesting concept :-)

This is forbidden by the FIDE Laws of Chess, since this move doesn't
comform to the definition of a castling move, as defined in Article 3.5
(ii):

"(ii) 'castling'. This is a move of the king and either rook of the same
colour on the same rank, counting as a single move of the king and
executed as follows: the king is transferred from its original square
two squares towards the rook, then that rook is transferred over the
king to the square the king has just crossed."

The vital words here are "on the same rank".

Best regards,

Sidney

Old December 29th 03, 12:11 PM
HD

Sidney Cadot skrev:
Death Eater Dan wrote:

[...]

And it isn't hard to remember, since both king and rook haven't been
moved - they are at their original squares (if not, there's no castling).

Old December 29th 03, 01:27 PM
Steve Grant

"Death Eater Dan" wrote in message
u...
Surely you are not allowed to castle with a promoted Rook. But as I
understand it the rules say:
1. Rook cannot have moved.
2. King cannot have moved.
3. King cannot be in check.
4. No peices in the way.

So if a pawn promotes on K8 is it actually allowed to castle? With the

king
moving to K3 and rook to K2? I was playing a local game with a bishop on

2nd
rank and opponent insisted that it was a valid move.

Sure it's valid. You see "O-O-O-O-O-O" all the time in master games.

Old December 29th 03, 04:22 PM
Robert Hyatt

Death Eater Dan wrote:
Surely you are not allowed to castle with a promoted Rook. But as I
understand it the rules say:
1. Rook cannot have moved.
2. King cannot have moved.
3. King cannot be in check.
4. No peices in the way.

So if a pawn promotes on K8 is it actually allowed to castle? With the king
moving to K3 and rook to K2? I was playing a local game with a bishop on 2nd
rank and opponent insisted that it was a valid move.

He is wrong. Because you can't promote a rook and get it to a1 or h1
(for white) or a8/h8 for black. You were hoodwinked.

--
Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Old December 29th 03, 05:27 PM
ChessliB

"Death Eater Dan" wrote in message
u...
Surely you are not allowed to castle with a promoted Rook. But as I
understand it the rules say:
1. Rook cannot have moved.
2. King cannot have moved.
3. King cannot be in check.
4. No peices in the way.

So if a pawn promotes on K8 is it actually allowed to castle? With the

king
moving to K3 and rook to K2? I was playing a local game with a bishop on

2nd
rank and opponent insisted that it was a valid move.

If you promote a pawn to a rook on A- or H8 the rook _have moved_.!
(From rank 9) :-)

-af-

Old December 29th 03, 05:30 PM
Joost de Heer

Surely you are not allowed to castle with a promoted Rook. But as I
understand it the rules say:

1. Rook cannot have moved.
2. King cannot have moved.
3. King cannot be in check.
4. No peices in the way.

So if a pawn promotes on K8 is it actually allowed to castle? With the king
moving to K3 and rook to K2? I was playing a local game with a bishop on 2nd
rank and opponent insisted that it was a valid move.

Tim Krabbe once made a composition which used this ultra-long castling.
Apparently, at the time of publication of the composition, the rules did allow
this, and consequently, the words "on the same rank" were added to the
constraints of the castling rule.

Joost
--
Du hast mein Herz zerrissen, meine Seele geraubt
Das es so enden würde hätt` ich nie geglaubt [Aus der Ruinen -]