Old December 30th 03, 12:36 AM
Ed Greenberg

Default Fritz 8 as a chess notepad

I have Fritz 8, and I want to use it to enter moves on both sides, white
AND black. I'd like Fritz to record the main line and the variations,
and allow me to look at options.

I DO NOT WANT FRITZ 8 EVER MAKE A MOVE ON IT'S OWN, since the game is
a correspondance game in progress, and having F8 suggest moves would
be cheating.

Is this even possible with Fritz 8? Do I need another program? Which? I
hate to spend any more money on Chess programs right now.
Old December 30th 03, 01:10 AM
Alberich

In article ,
says...
I have Fritz 8, and I want to use it to enter moves on both sides, white
AND black. I'd like Fritz to record the main line and the variations,
and allow me to look at options.

I DO NOT WANT FRITZ 8 EVER MAKE A MOVE ON IT'S OWN, since the game is
a correspondance game in progress, and having F8 suggest moves would
be cheating.

Is this even possible with Fritz 8? Do I need another program? Which? I
hate to spend any more money on Chess programs right now.

With Fritz 8, you can turn off the engine completely with Ctrl+Alt+M
shortcut key. This allows you to try out variations without having Fritz
offer any suggestions whatsoever. This is great because when you shut
off the engine...the computer processing percentage then drops to zero
usage in Windows XP. This is great news. In previous versions of Fritz
you couldn't turn off infinite mode at all.

My wish list for the next generation of Fritz is the ability to open up
a floating variation board with the main position automatically on the
floating board. And with this, it should give users the option to turn
around the board if one is playing with the Black pieces. Currently the
Variation board feature in Fritz 8 is stupid because you can't turn
around the board with Black when you're playing the Black pieces. It's
hardwired only from White's perspective. Ridiculous. So the shortcut key
I mention above allows you to do away with this nonsense. The only
unfortunate thing with this is once you're done, you have to erase the
variations manually before getting back to the main position.
Old December 30th 03, 11:06 AM
David Richerby

Alberich wrote:
With Fritz 8, you can turn off the engine completely with Ctrl+Alt+M
shortcut key.

Be careful, though -- if you open a game from a database, the engine is
turned back on. You must remember to open the game, turn off the engine
and only then start to make new moves. This is just one of the annoying
`features' of the Chessbase GUI.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Evil Whisky (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ single-malt whisky but it's genuinely
Old December 30th 03, 11:26 PM
CeeBee

Alberich wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

With Fritz 8, you can turn off the engine completely with Ctrl+Alt+M

shift-ctrl-m

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old December 30th 03, 11:28 PM
CeeBee

Alberich wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

With Fritz 8, you can turn off the engine completely with Ctrl+Alt+M

shift-ctrl-m

But you can also click on the "stop" button in the engine pane.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

--