Old December 30th 03, 07:23 PM
Robin Norton

Default Advice on programme for old PC

I have a Pentium 100 PC. Whats the best package to get to play on it. I'm
new to this newsgroup. nice to meet you all.
Rob N from Dublin, Ireland

Old December 30th 03, 07:43 PM
Chuck in Minot

What operating system are you running? How much ram do you have?

Here are 2 free chess programs you can try.

Rebel 12 (DOS)
http://members.home.nl/matador/chess810.htm

Jester, Java based
Here is Jester from the fine folks at Ludochess.
http://www.ludochess.com/jester_eng/jester_eng.php3

~enjoy
===========================

Old December 30th 03, 11:55 PM
Dr. David Kirkby

"Robin Norton" wrote in message ...
I have a Pentium 100 PC. Whats the best package to get to play on it. I'm
new to this newsgroup. nice to meet you all.
Rob N from Dublin, Ireland

Stick Linux and crafty on it. Neither will cost you a penny if you
download Linux. And think how much you will learn, by getting away
from Windoze.
Old December 31st 03, 10:24 AM
Solomon Nuffert

Hi, Robin!

Remember: Kasparov loose his game vs Genius 3 /P90 in 1994

You can find plenty free fine chessprogramms for you PC
- Rebell 12 for Dos, Arena 1.02, hundrew WB and UCI engines - free. Or buy
any superstrong programm - Genius, Chessmaster 7000 (8K & 9K need MMX),
Fritz and other.

I like Chessbase and Chessmaster programm on my old P-150/32

--

Счастья, и побольше!
Be happy!

My valid address pawn04XXlist.ru
(instead XX print @)
Old December 31st 03, 10:40 AM
White Shadow

Hello - This is easy as I do this all the time for older PC's (ie:
Setup older DOS based chess games).

Really a GREAT deal sometimes - you find an old laptop and just run it
as a DOS based chess machine!

Fritz 3.0 - DOS based - plays good, best interface IMHO, etc.

Hiarcs 3.0 - DOS - Good!

Chess genius 3.0 - Good!

I am running a 486/33 laptop (just one of my older systems) with 160
meg hard drive and 20 megs of ram. And I run Windows 95a (December
updated release) and it all works fine.

I also run Chess Genius 7.0 in Win95. Great since it will access PGN
files easily. Same with one of the above dos versions altho I forgot
which one offhand.

Unless you are rated above about 2200, these all should give you a
good game, even on an older computer.

White Shadow

Old December 31st 03, 07:34 PM
Robin Norton

I don't have time to fit in any more learning thanks, Doc. I just want
something simple. Thanks though..
"Dr. David Kirkby" m wrote
in message om...

Old January 1st 04, 01:33 AM
WebWalker

wrote:

I have a Pentium 100 PC. Whats the best package to get to play on it. I'm
new to this newsgroup. nice to meet you all.
Rob N from Dublin, Ireland

Try Rebel http://members.home.nl/matador/chess810.htm which use less
resources

--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279
Old January 1st 04, 06:48 PM
David Richerby

Chuck in Minot wrote:
Jester, Java based
Here is Jester from the fine folks at Ludochess.
http://www.ludochess.com/jester_eng/jester_eng.php3

I'd avoid using a java program on a machine that old. A 100MHz Pentium
has few enough CPU cycles to think about chess without having to interpret
Java bytecode on top of that. On a modern computer, this will not be
significant as programs are so strong that even slowing them down by, say,
30% means that, instead of being vastly, vastly better than you, it's just
vastly better. But on an older machine that 30% may well tip the balance
from better than you to worse than you.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Carnivorous Voodoo Toy (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a fun child's toy that has mystical