Old January 1st 04, 09:51 PM
Chuck in Minot

Default Java Jester, now quite strong!!

A while back Jester the Java based little chess engine
was cute, but still lost to my Fidelity 2100 Chess
Computer. Well not anymore, looks like they have tweaked
it a bit, and now it has beaten my old machine just one game
after another, and well since it is playing on my old Celeron 400
and doing that well, on a modern P4 machine it should be quite
a monster.

Well just wanted to give credit and praise where it is due, Jester
is now quite a strong little program, and perhaps some of you
might enjoy a few games with it. Another thing that is so impressive
about Jester is that it is just a tiny little Java program, and it somehow
plays a good game of Chess, and that to me is just amazing.

Hats off to who ever Stephane Nguyen is over at LudoChess, and her
programming of Jester

http://www.ludochess.com/jester_eng/jester_eng.php3

Old January 2nd 04, 12:01 AM
Christian Kongsted

Default Beating the computer

Still, its sense of king safety doesn't seem to be very well developed. Just
a quick game:

White: Kongsted, Christian (ELO 2280)
Black: computer program JESTER 1.10e by Stephane NGUYEN
(registered for http://www.Ludochess.com)

1.d2-d4 Ng8-f6
2.c2-c4 g7-g6
3.Nb1-c3 Bf8-g7
4.e2-e4 d7-d6
5.h2-h3 Ke8-g8
6.Ng1-f3 Nb8-d7
7.Bc1-g5 h7-h6
8.Bg5-e3 c7-c5
9.d4-d5 Qd8-b6
10.Ra1-b1 e7-e6
11.Bf1-d3 Rf8-e8
12.Ke1-g1 Qb6-a6
13.Rf1-e1 Nf6-h5
14.Qd1-d2 g6-g5
15.a2-a3 Nd7-e5
16.Nf3xe5 Bg7xe5
17.Nc3-e2 Bc8-d7
18.f2-f4 g5xf4
19.Ne2xf4 Nh5xf4
20.Be3xf4 e6xd5
21.e4xd5 Be5-d4+
22.Kg1-h1 h6-h5
23.Bf4-g3 Re8xe1+
24.Rb1xe1 Bd4-g7
25.Qd2-g5 Bd7-e8
26.Qg5xh5 Bg7xb2
27.Qh5-h7+ Kg8-f8
28.Qh7-h6+ Bb2-g7
29.Bg3xd6+ Qa6xd6
30.Qh6xd6+ Kf8-g8
31.Re1-e3 b7-b6
32.Re3-g3 Kg8-h8
33.Qd6-f4 Kh8-g8
34.Qf4-g4 Kg8-f8
35.Qg4xg7+ Kf8-e7
36.Qg7-e5+ Ke7-d8
37.Qe5-d6+ Kd8-c8
38.Rg3-g8 Kc8-b7
39.Rg8xe8 Ra8xe8
40.Qd6-c6+ Kb7-b8
41.Qc6xe8+ Kb8-b7
42.Qe8-c6+ Kb7-b8
43.d5-d6 b6-b5
44.Qc6-c7+ Kb8-a8
45.Bd3-e4 mate

1-0

More on computer chess, working with computer chess programs, and how to
beat computers in my book:

http://www.badbishop.com/gambit/books/computers.html

Best wishes,
Christian

Old January 2nd 04, 08:12 PM
Derek Wildstar

"Chuck in Minot" wrote in message
A while back Jester the Java based little chess engine
was cute, but still lost to my Fidelity 2100 Chess
Computer. Well not anymore, looks like they have tweaked
it a bit, and now it has beaten my old machine just one game
after another, and well since it is playing on my old Celeron 400
and doing that well, on a modern P4 machine it should be quite
a monster.

Well just wanted to give credit and praise where it is due, Jester
is now quite a strong little program, and perhaps some of yo
might enjoy a few games with it. Another thing that is so impressive
about Jester is that it is just a tiny little Java program, and it somehow
plays a good game of Chess, and that to me is just amazing.

Hats off to who ever Stephane Nguyen is over at LudoChess, and her
programming of Jester

http://www.ludochess.com/jester_eng/jester_eng.php3

I saw Christian's response regarding it's King-Safety issues, and I decided
to try a KGA, which I was delighted to see, took me only two tries to smash
the wee overachieving program to bits. Here is a game that poor Jester only
had a few seconds per move, and I took my time, but not over long.

There was only one instance of Jester joking with me, instead of the text
move 20. ... Qb6, it played 20. ... Qxc3, which is a real clunker...I took
that back and told it to behave:

[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2/1/2004"]
[Round "?"]
[White "DW (USCF 2100)"]
[Black "Jester 1.10e"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Opening "C34 KGA: Schallop Defense"]

1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. e5 Nh5 5. Qe2 Be7
6. d4 O-O 7. g4 fxg3 8. Nc3 d6 9. Be3 Bg4 10. Qg2 Nc6
11. O-O-O Qd7 12. hxg3 Qf5 13. Be2 dxe5 14. Nxe5 Nxe5
15. Rdf1 Qe6 16. dxe5 Qxe5 17. Bxg4 Qxe3+ 18. Kb1 Nf6
19. Bf5 c6 20. Rf3 Qb6 21. Bxh7+ Nxh7 22. Qh3 f6 23. Qxh7+ Kf7
24. Qh5+ Kg8 25. Ne4 f5 26. Rxf5 Bg5 27. Qh7# 1-0

Old January 4th 04, 07:25 PM
Chuck in Minot

In my match with Jester I had it set to level 10 its strongest level, and 30
seconds per move. But it is quite neat to see it being so strong and yet
such a small program.

news:[email protected]_s02...

Old January 5th 04, 09:38 AM
David Richerby

Chaos wrote:
"Chuck in Minot" wrote:
http://www.ludochess.com/jester_eng/jester_eng.php3

Thought I would give it a try. Jester at that site is quite buggy,
claiming on 4 - 5 occasions my selected move was invalid

If that's reproducible, you should definitely contact Jester's author
about it.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Moistened Perforated.com (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like an E-commerce portal but it's

Old January 5th 04, 02:49 PM
mdamien

"David Richerby" wrote in message
Chaos wrote:
"Chuck in Minot" wrote:
http://www.ludochess.com/jester_eng/jester_eng.php3

Thought I would give it a try. Jester at that site is quite buggy,
claiming on 4 - 5 occasions my selected move was invalid

If that's reproducible, you should definitely contact Jester's author
about it.

I tried it to see what you meant, and had a similar problem: it wouldn't let
me make a legal move. I finally solved the problem by clicking on the "from"
square I had originally selected, to deselect it. Then, I could make the
move.

Matt