Old January 2nd 04, 01:39 AM
Keith Boone

Default Will any of these windows apps run on Linux in Vmware or wine?

I've been running Windows XP for a while, just to run these
chess applications:
-Chess Mentor
-CT-Art, Advanced Chess School
-Fritz 8.0

I'd like to switch back to Linux (which had been my main desktop
OS for the past 3 years...) Will any or all of the above programs
work on Linux using vmware or wine? Thanks for any help!

Old January 2nd 04, 03:51 AM
Douglas L Stewart

I tried to run the Fritz 8 installation program through WINE under Linux
about 6-9 months ago with no luck.

. cable.rogers.com...

Old January 2nd 04, 12:37 PM
Anthony Evans

I've been running Windows XP for a while, just to run these
chess applications:
-Chess Mentor
-CT-Art, Advanced Chess School
-Fritz 8.0

I'd like to switch back to Linux (which had been my main desktop
OS for the past 3 years...) Will any or all of the above programs
work on Linux using vmware or wine? Thanks for any help!

I am able to use Fritz 8 using winex, and Fritz 7 using normal wine. The
only thing used by Fritz 8 that doesn't work well enough in wine is
DirectX. I think if you disable the 3D boards in the configuration files,
then you should be able to use Fritz 8 in wine.

I have also been able to use a number of other engines under wine, but a
few have problems (e.g. ChessTiger).

Under VMWare however, you can run *anything*

Tony
Old January 2nd 04, 02:18 PM
JVarsoke

Keith Boone wrote in message .cable.rogers.com...
I've been running Windows XP for a while, just to run these
chess applications:
-Chess Mentor
-CT-Art, Advanced Chess School
-Fritz 8.0

I'd like to switch back to Linux (which had been my main desktop
OS for the past 3 years...) Will any or all of the above programs
work on Linux using vmware or wine? Thanks for any help!

All these programs run under VMWare. (actually, I've never heard of
anything that didn't run under VMWare).

As for Wine, I have no idea, but would really love to know.

-j
Old January 2nd 04, 02:42 PM
Sidney Cadot

JVarsoke wrote:

All these programs run under VMWare. (actually, I've never heard of
anything that didn't run under VMWare).

For example, VMWare runs under VMWare :-)

It's a brilliant program, isn't it.

As for Wine, I have no idea, but would really love to know.

Have to give that a try one of these days!

Best regards,

Sidney

Old January 2nd 04, 05:44 PM
pgeorges

Anthony Evans a écrit :
I've been running Windows XP for a while, just to run these
chess applications:
-Chess Mentor
-CT-Art, Advanced Chess School
-Fritz 8.0

I'd like to switch back to Linux (which had been my main desktop
OS for the past 3 years...) Will any or all of the above programs
work on Linux using vmware or wine? Thanks for any help!

I am able to use Fritz 8 using winex, and Fritz 7 using normal wine.
The only thing used by Fritz 8 that doesn't work well enough in wine
is DirectX. I think if you disable the 3D boards in the configuration
files, then you should be able to use Fritz 8 in wine.

I have also been able to use a number of other engines under wine, but
a few have problems (e.g. ChessTiger).

Under VMWare however, you can run *anything*

False. Fritz 8 runs perfectly well under Vmware, if you don't use the
DirectX 3D boards (then you'll get a simple popup telling you Fritz
can't use these boards). The performance between Vmware and the native
is nearly the same.
Chessmaster refuses to install because it thinks you use a debugger, and
don't want to be cracked (no cd)...

Old January 12th 04, 06:36 PM
Betsy Schwartz

Chessmaster 8000 didn't run under VMWare - the CM copy protection kicked
in and gave an error message about not being allowed to use a debugger
(I have not, however, tried this on any very recent VMWare versions, as
I don't have a license any more)

Old January 15th 04, 12:16 PM
frank

Default Let's exchange: Fritz6, DJunior6 for Chessmaster7000

Betsy Schwartz wrote in message ...

ccctournament
http://amateurschach.de
phrocrew my nu zite
ladiest
probivnoi

Let's exchange: Fritz6, DJunior6 for Chessmaster7000