Old November 23rd 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Kramnik VS Deep Fritz

From the main website
http://www.rag.de/microsite_chess_com/fritz.html
I see that "Deep Fritz will be running on a computer with four
processors at WCC 2006". Does anybody know the full specifications of
the computer that will be running Deep Fritz?

Daniel

Old November 25th 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote in message
oups.com...
From the main website

http://www.rag.de/microsite_chess_com/fritz.html
I see that "Deep Fritz will be running on a computer with four
processors at WCC 2006". Does anybody know the full specifications of
the computer that will be running Deep Fritz?

Daniel

"In the current match Kramnik will face a Dual Intel Core 2 Duo 5160 system
which allows Deep Fritz - also improved from version seven to version ten -
to calculate around eight million positions per second.

In 2002 the Bahrain version of Deep Fritz was able to calculate "just" 2.7
million positions per second. Running at eight million positions allows the
current version of the program to search to a depth of 17 to 18 ply in the
middlegame. A "ply" is a move for either side. This means that Fritz is
looking nine full moves ahead for both sides. In the endgame, when most of
the material has come off the board, the search depth can be considerably
greater."

Old November 25th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

who do you think will win ?

Computers are so powerful now it will be hard for him since he gets
mentally tired..

Old November 25th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"SAT W-7" schreef in bericht
who do you think will win ?

Computers are so powerful now it will be hard for him since he gets
mentally tired..

first game looks like draw. Lots of exchanges in the beginning, entering
endgame with only 15 minutes played by Kramnik (of 2 hours).
Kramnik seems to have a rule where he can look into the Fritz-openingbook
upfront, during the game, and also the option of adjourning the game after
move 56.
This prob. to prevend blitz-like showdowns in the endgame, where humans are
outplayed on speed by computers.

All in all, Kramnik seems well prepared.

Old November 25th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

How do they draw other than perpetual check ?

I have a chess computer called IVAN and i have to kill it because it
never wants to draw.

I get checkmated unless i quit ..Only have beaten it one time in 400 +
games but i still have fun....

does a human GM for Fritz agree on a draw ?

Old November 25th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"Ear e" schreef in bericht
How do they draw other than perpetual check ?

I have a chess computer called IVAN and i have to kill it because it
never wants to draw.

I get checkmated unless i quit ..Only have beaten it one time in 400 +
games but i still have fun....

does a human GM for Fritz agree on a draw ?

Yes. To my knowledge the Fritz-operator can offer draws on behalf of the
program.
Also, I believe fritz (and other chessbase engines) can offer draws (besides
3 move-repetition draws, or 50 move-rule-draws), by evaluating positions.
But I'm not sure about that.

Old November 25th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

who won ?

Old November 26th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:22:17 -0800, SAT W-7 wrote:

who won ?

It was a draw. Next game takes place tomorrow (Monday).

M.
Old November 27th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Ruud wrote:
Also, I believe fritz (and other chessbase engines) can offer draws
(besides 3 move-repetition draws, or 50 move-rule-draws), by
evaluating positions. But I'm not sure about that.

That is true. I've had Fritz offer a draw against me several times.
(When not playing on full strength, of course.)

Bizarrely, it once offered me a draw in the following position

[White "Fritz 8 (1550 handicap)"]
[Black "Richerby, David"]
[Date "2005-11-17"]
[Site "-"]
[Event "-"]
[Round "-"]
[Result "*"]

1.b3 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bb2 e6 4.c4 c5 5.Ne5 Nc6 6.Nxc6 bxc6 7.d3 d4 *

Poor thing was obviously having a bad day as it later declined my
offer of a draw in a position where I had the option of bringing about
the threefold repetition, which I did.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Confusing Transparent Drink (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a refreshing juice beverage