Old November 23rd 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Which Chess software to buy?

I would like to know which is the best Chess playing software on the
market these days. My requirements are such:

1. Ability to play a very strong game and that can be adjusted for
lower levels
2. A training feature that allows a player with between 1700 and 2100
rating strength to improve on their middle game and tactics.
3. The ability to analyze one's game and indicate tactical training
opportunities. Provide useful comments.

Old November 24th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I think Chessmaster 10 is a great piece of software. It has lot's of
characters each with different elo ratings, ranging from 20 or so up to
grandmasters and Chessmaster himself. A great tool for playing at
opponents of your strength or a bit stronger! It also has lessons,
annotated games, etc which I find very usefull (but I'm still far from
1700-2100). It has the option to analyse your chess games, but I'm not
sure if it provides very usefull comments.
Chessmaster is thus good for no.1, ok for no.2 (now I'm maybe a bit
optimistic) and I don't know about no.3.

Fritz9 is a very powerfull chess program. Although I kinda dislike it
for normal playing since it's simply too stronge for me. It ranges from
1600 elo and up. And sincd i'm still a 1300 player... you get the idea.
But's it's possible to load different engines with different playing
strengths, so I guess I could just simply install a different chess
engine instead of the default Fritz9 engine. It also supports give-away
chess which is fun to play from time to time. Anyway, I thus guess it's
ok for no.1 if you install a different engine for the lower levels.
I don't have Fritz that long yet so I don't know about training
features that much, but I think it has better trainings but no lessons
from grandmasters (don't shoot me if I'm wrong!!) Mostly because I
bought a DVD on which it said that it had lessons on it, but I simply
can't find them!!
Anyway, that is of no importance here. Fritz9 is claimed to be superb
when it comes to analysing games, but I already let him analyse some of
my games and I sometimes get stuff like this:

white moves and Fritz says: White has a great advantage (losely
translated from the dutch phrase)
black moves and Fritz says: Black has a great advantage
white moves again: White has a great advantage
black moves and Fritz says: Black has a great advantage

Do you get the idea? It might be a very great analysis tool, but I
don't like those comments, heh... they are just nonsense. That or I
have a very strange way of playing chess, hehe

Old November 24th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

schreef in bericht
ups.com...
I would like to know which is the best Chess playing software on the
market these days. My requirements are such:

1. Ability to play a very strong game and that can be adjusted for
lower levels
2. A training feature that allows a player with between 1700 and 2100
rating strength to improve on their middle game and tactics.
3. The ability to analyze one's game and indicate tactical training
opportunities. Provide useful comments.

If u download Arena - platform (free), and then download some chess engines
(different elo-strenght, from 1300-2800, also all free), u can pick and
play, or analyse, at any level u want.

Arena: http://www.playwitharena.com/

Engines: http://www.uciengines.de/UCI-Engines/uci-engines.html
Engines: http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/enginesindex.htm

Elo-list: http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/BayesianElo_ed13.htm

Of course, a purchase of software gives more beautifull graphics, etc., but
it's just another option., free .

Old November 24th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

2. A training feature that allows a player with between 1700 and 2100
rating strength to improve on their middle game and tactics.

Get CT-Art

How good is CT-Art 'cause although I've already heard of it, I don't
really know it. Is it a really good teaching tool? (compare it with
CM10k his lessons and "trainings" if possible, since I know and use
those)

Old November 24th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"tOmmetje" wrote in message
ups.com...
I think Chessmaster 10 is a great piece of software. It has lot's of
characters each with different elo ratings, ranging from 20 or so up to
grandmasters and Chessmaster himself. A great tool for playing at
opponents of your strength or a bit stronger! It also has lessons,
annotated games, etc which I find very usefull (but I'm still far from
1700-2100). It has the option to analyse your chess games, but I'm not
sure if it provides very usefull comments.
Chessmaster is thus good for no.1, ok for no.2 (now I'm maybe a bit
optimistic) and I don't know about no.3.

CM 10 is good for playing but Fritz too can be used for internet play. The
good thing about CM is that you can set very very slow time controls that
are very hard to be found on the net against real opponents.

Fritz9 is a very powerfull chess program. Although I kinda dislike it
for normal playing since it's simply too stronge for me. It ranges from
1600 elo and up. And sincd i'm still a 1300 player... you get the idea.
But's it's possible to load different engines with different playing
strengths, so I guess I could just simply install a different chess
engine instead of the default Fritz9 engine. It also supports give-away
chess which is fun to play from time to time. Anyway, I thus guess it's
ok for no.1 if you install a different engine for the lower levels.
I don't have Fritz that long yet so I don't know about training
features that much, but I think it has better trainings but no lessons
from grandmasters (don't shoot me if I'm wrong!!) Mostly because I
bought a DVD on which it said that it had lessons on it, but I simply
can't find them!!

Open Fritz hit F12 open database ...browse to your DVD, folder
multimedia, multimedia.cbh (database)
There should be video tutorials.

Anyway, that is of no importance here. Fritz9 is claimed to be superb
when it comes to analysing games, but I already let him analyse some of
my games and I sometimes get stuff like this:

white moves and Fritz says: White has a great advantage (losely
translated from the dutch phrase)
black moves and Fritz says: Black has a great advantage
white moves again: White has a great advantage
black moves and Fritz says: Black has a great advantage

You said you are far from 1700. Fritz adds these comments because both you
and your opponent are missing something very important and you are playing
not substandard but very bad moves that makes Fritz evaluation graph jump up
and down.

Old November 24th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

tOmmetje wrote:
2. A training feature that allows a player with between 1700 and 2100
rating strength to improve on their middle game and tactics.

Get CT-Art

How good is CT-Art 'cause although I've already heard of it, I don't
really know it. Is it a really good teaching tool? (compare it with
CM10k his lessons and "trainings" if possible, since I know and use
those)

CT-Art is very good. It just focus's on tactical problems so there
isnt any
'lesson's. I would compare it to a book on tactical problems.

Old November 25th 06, 04:31 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconnux
tOmmetje wrote:
2. A training feature that allows a player with between 1700 and 2100
rating strength to improve on their middle game and tactics.

Get CT-Art

How good is CT-Art 'cause although I've already heard of it, I don't
really know it. Is it a really good teaching tool? (compare it with
CM10k his lessons and "trainings" if possible, since I know and use
those)

CT-Art is very good. It just focus's on tactical problems so there
isnt any
'lesson's. I would compare it to a book on tactical problems.
Shredder 10,that just came out a few months ago,has everything you need.It has been the world chess champion many times and had beaten fritz programs many times.I have personally played fritz against shredder 10 and it "shreds" up fritz more than not.Of course,dual processors and a very fast computer are necessary for the "best" play from the program.. Of course, "Deep Shredder" program is the Ultimate.The program costs over $100 dollars US however.Shredder and Deep Shredder can be programmed from beginner levels to GM levels and there are automatic online engine upgrades and help once you register online according to the instructions.