Old November 24th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Genius5 for DOS

Genius5 (and Genius3) for DOS are the best programs for old
computers. I have a 486 25MHz laptop, and Genius5 for DOS
plays extremely well on this slow computer. This program
is clearly to recommend if you want to make use of an old
computer. I also have a strong computer running WinXP, but
I seem unable to abandon DOS. Another example is TascBase
for DOS, which I mentioned in another message, and which is
still the best chess database.

Mats W
Old November 24th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 15:13:15 +0100, "M Winther"
wrote:

Genius5 (and Genius3) for DOS are the best programs for old
computers. I have a 486 25MHz laptop, and Genius5 for DOS
plays extremely well on this slow computer. This program
is clearly to recommend if you want to make use of an old
computer. I also have a strong computer running WinXP, but
I seem unable to abandon DOS. Another example is TascBase
for DOS, which I mentioned in another message, and which is
still the best chess database.

Mats W

Cool! Another believer in Dos in chess. I still have Chess Assistant
2.0 for Dos and Fritz 3 with ChessBase 4.0 in Dos. I have Hiarcs 6
for Dos and unfortunately I have MChess Pro 5.0 for dos. MChess pro
5.0 stinks to hog heaven so not all chess dos programs are good. Have
you tried Rebel 12 for Dos? It is free and probably is the best and
strongest chess program for Dos, though I have heard that Genius5 is
pretty good though I don't have it. Chessmaster and Grandmaster chess
ultra for Dos is pretty good to. I would love to try TascBase for Dos
but don't have that. I still use Windows 3.1 and have CB6 and
Fritz 5.16 with both patches and they work great. Good to know there
is another Dos believer out there.

EZoto
Old November 25th 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:

[...]

Hi EZoto!

I agree about Chess Assistant 2.0 for DOS. Immensely practical and fast.
It's ideal for chessplayers that don't want to spend too much time on
chess,
but want a fast overview. This software includes a chess engine for
analysis.
It isn't as powerful as TascBase, but it is a joy to use because the
functionality
is so well-integrated.

Mats

--
Använder Operas banbrytande e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Old November 26th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
SW SW is offline

wrote:

Genius5 (and Genius3) for DOS are the best programs for old
computers. I have a 486 25MHz laptop, and Genius5 for DOS
plays extremely well on this slow computer. This program
is clearly to recommend if you want to make use of an old
computer. I also have a strong computer running WinXP, but
I seem unable to abandon DOS. Another example is TascBase
for DOS, which I mentioned in another message, and which is
still the best chess database.

Mats W

Cool! Another believer in Dos in chess. I still have Chess Assistant
2.0 for Dos and Fritz 3 with ChessBase 4.0 in Dos. I have Hiarcs 6
for Dos and unfortunately I have MChess Pro 5.0 for dos. MChess pro
5.0 stinks to hog heaven so not all chess dos programs are good.

I totally agree. MChess Pro 3.5 was the strongest.

Old November 26th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"M Winther" wrote in message
news
Genius5 (and Genius3) for DOS are the best programs for old
computers. I have a 486 25MHz laptop, and Genius5 for DOS
plays extremely well on this slow computer. This program

Have you ever tried the PC version of Kaissa?

It's from December 1991, and is supposedly based on the old mainframe
version.

It's now available for free, along with the source.

http://ClassicChess.googlepages.com/

I have no idea how well it plays, though.

I don't know anything about it other than it exists.

Old November 27th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Hi EZoto!

I agree about Chess Assistant 2.0 for DOS. Immensely practical and fast.
It's ideal for chessplayers that don't want to spend too much time on
chess,
but want a fast overview. This software includes a chess engine for
analysis.
It isn't as powerful as TascBase, but it is a joy to use because the
functionality
is so well-integrated.

Mats

I still have the floppies but I'm afraid one day they will fail and
that's it. Is there any way to copy them to a CD. I tried Winimage
but that didn't work and I don't want to try anything that could
damage the floppies.

EZoto
Old November 27th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Den 2006-11-27 02:24:57 skrev EZoto :

Hi EZoto!

I agree about Chess Assistant 2.0 for DOS. Immensely practical and fast.
It's ideal for chessplayers that don't want to spend too much time on
chess,
but want a fast overview. This software includes a chess engine for
analysis.
It isn't as powerful as TascBase, but it is a joy to use because the
functionality
is so well-integrated.

Mats

I still have the floppies but I'm afraid one day they will fail and
that's it. Is there any way to copy them to a CD. I tried Winimage
but that didn't work and I don't want to try anything that could
damage the floppies.

EZoto

There is a version 2.02 of Chess Assistant, which, I suppose, is not
copy protected. I suppose it's still possible to get it from Chess
Assistant,
as a CA2 user. But maybe they have forgotten about it. I will test it
the other day to see whether it is copy protected or not.

Mats
Old November 27th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Den 2006-11-27 19:11:36 skrev M Winther :

[...]

I have now tested CA202, and it is not copy-protected. So all I need to
do is to zip the whole ca directory, and store it on a floppy, or whatever,
and then unzip it to any computer, and it will work.

Mats
Old November 30th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I have now tested CA202, and it is not copy-protected. So all I need to
do is to zip the whole ca directory, and store it on a floppy, or whatever,
and then unzip it to any computer, and it will work.

Mats

I've never heard of CA 2.02. I have tried that with my floppies and
it doesn't work. Was there a patch to upgrade 2.0 to 2.02?

EZoto