Old January 3rd 04, 09:14 PM
Phil

Default ChessMaster 5000

I have finally got CM5k working with my computer running XP pro. My original
retail copy did not work, but Computer Shopper May 2000 had it on it's cover
CD. This is the one which worked.
However, the database doesn't. When I press Ctrl-D, the game comes up with a
'windows' dialog box saying 'Not a valid password' then a CM5k dialog box
pops up with 'DB.DLL, INTART.DLL or Queries.mdb is missing'. If I try to use
the database again I get told Database functionality is not available. Any
ideas of what to do. TIA.

Old January 4th 04, 11:22 AM
Simon

"Phil" wrote in message
I have finally got CM5k working with my computer running XP pro. My

original
retail copy did not work, but Computer Shopper May 2000 had it on it's

cover
CD. This is the one which worked.
However, the database doesn't. When I press Ctrl-D, the game comes up with

'windows' dialog box saying 'Not a valid password' then a CM5k dialog box
pops up with 'DB.DLL, INTART.DLL or Queries.mdb is missing'. If I try to

use
the database again I get told Database functionality is not available. Any
ideas of what to do. TIA.

Hi Phil,

This may not be a solution for you, however:

Search your drive, make sure the dlls and the mdb file are actually there.

If the .dll files are there, then run a command line, type start/run/cmd for
XP or start/run/command for 98 etc.

change to the directory where the dll files are, and try:

regsvr32 db.dll

and then,

regsvr32 intart.dll

(If this returns an error message, then this probably wont work)

Make sure that the .mdb file (if it is there) is in the Chessmaster
directory.

Retry starting it up.

This may not work, it is hard to tell, but I don't think there are any
guarantees with CM5K under WinXP.

Worth a try, however, no guarantees.

All the best

Simon

Old January 5th 04, 09:12 AM
Phil

Tried it and windows said that the files could not be registered??
I can actually look at the games database, but if I try to look for the
current board position, it asks me to insert the product CD. I have tried
the original and the Computer shopper disk to no avail.
Thanks anyway.

"Simon" wrote in message
u...