Old January 5th 04, 01:02 PM
addict

Default Fritz

Just started using Fritz analysis program and am confused about the results..
why the little 2 or 3?
why the +-, does this relate to the who has the best position?
and lastly the numbers in brackets,e.g. (0.36)

Any helkp gratefully accepted...
Old January 5th 04, 01:09 PM
Blackbeard's Ghost

the values are in terms of pawns:

so a value of (+3) means that white is ahead relative to black by
approximately 3 pawn units and (-3) means that white is behindby a
corresponding amount
+- again relates to the position; there are a number of combinations of
=/+/- type symbols which relate to how well or how badly white is doing.

you will further see notations for depth eg 15/42 which means that a 15 ply
(ply = 1/2 move)brute force search combined with a 42 ply selective search
has been carried out.

500kn/s refers to the speed of search

as you observe more games it will become much clearer to you as it is quite
self evident.

om...

Old January 5th 04, 02:52 PM
Anders Thulin

addict wrote:
Just started using Fritz analysis program and am confused about the results..
why the little 2 or 3?

Just what typeface are you using? One intended for use with Fritz/Chessbase (like
FigurineCB SomethingOrOther), or a plain text face?

If the latter ...

in a text font stands for += in the Fritz font (+ above =)
similarly stands for =+ (= above +)

You can check yourself by copying (or writing) the character in Notepad,
and then switch to the FigurineCB Xxx typeface.

This is one of the problems with Fritz/Chessbase -- they rely on specially
designed typefaces that contain the various Informator symbols where standard
typefaces have rarely-used symbols like 2 and 3 superscripts. Yet these special
typefaces are not flagged as such, and so are subject to OS font replacement.
This is a basic headache: I hope the CB people lobby the Unicode people for
Informator-glyphs to be added to the Unicode standard. Then the need for
specialized solutions would go away after a year or two...

See the Fritz Help information -- "Chess notation" -- for information about
these Fritz-specific fonts.

why the +-, does this relate to the who has the best position?

Yes. See for instance

http://www.funet.fi/pub/doc/games/ch...x/symbols.html

or any Informator-publication.

and lastly the numbers in brackets,e.g. (0.36)

Don't know what you might refer to -- can't find any immedtaley.
Probably it's the score of the position, though.

--
Anders Thulin http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Old January 5th 04, 04:44 PM
CeeBee

Anders Thulin wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

addict wrote:

and lastly the numbers in brackets,e.g. (0.36)

Don't know what you might refer to -- can't find any immedtaley.
Probably it's the score of the position, though.

That's right, the score in pawn equivalents, always from the viewpoint of
white.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old January 6th 04, 06:46 AM
Pierpaolo BERNARDI

"Anders Thulin" ha scritto nel messaggio ...

in a text font stands for += in the Fritz font (+ above =)
similarly stands for =+ (= above +)

This is one of the problems with Fritz/Chessbase -- they rely on specially
designed typefaces that contain the various Informator symbols where standard
typefaces have rarely-used symbols like 2 and 3 superscripts. Yet these special
typefaces are not flagged as such, and so are subject to OS font replacement.
This is a basic headache: I hope the CB people lobby the Unicode people for
Informator-glyphs to be added to the Unicode standard.

As far as I know, the informator symbols are already
in Unicode. For example, the two symbols mentioned
above, are U+2A71 and U+2A72.

P.

Old January 6th 04, 08:19 AM
Anders Thulin

Pierpaolo BERNARDI wrote:

As far as I know, the informator symbols are already
in Unicode. For example, the two symbols mentioned
above, are U+2A71 and U+2A72.

Some of them are -- of course. But in order to avoid fonts that
break character tables, all of them have to be. If just so much as
one single Informator symbol is missing, specially designed
fonts will be neededin one way or another, and depending on just
how well the software developers understand the process of translating
internal symbols to external glyphs, this may make a mess. The
current ChessBase/Fritz situation is such a mess.

What about 'with compensation for material' (an infinity symbol below = --
no, can't find it), bishops of same or opposite colour (not these either),
or the united, isolated, or double pawns (the Z notation type colon might
be useful for double pawns, but I can't find the others).

The code charts seem to be on-line at http://www.unicode.org/charts/
if anyone feels inclined to dig further.

These symbols may be somewhere in the process, of course -- it
would be useful to know definitely if they are.

--
Anders Thulin http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Old January 6th 04, 08:49 AM
Pierpaolo BERNARDI

Pierpaolo BERNARDI wrote:

What about 'with compensation for material' (an infinity symbol below = --
no, can't find it), bishops of same or opposite colour (not these either),
or the united, isolated, or double pawns (the Z notation type colon might
be useful for double pawns, but I can't find the others).

You are right, I couldn't find these.

These symbols may be somewhere in the process, of course -- it
would be useful to know definitely if they are.

I'll ask Unicode. Is there somewhere on the net a comprehensive
list of these symbols to point them to? (the ones that I have/know of
are written in Italian, English would be better).

P.

Old January 6th 04, 09:16 AM
Odd Gunnar Malin

"Pierpaolo BERNARDI" skrev i melding
news

Pierpaolo BERNARDI wrote:

What about 'with compensation for material' (an infinity symbol below

= --
no, can't find it), bishops of same or opposite colour (not these

either),
or the united, isolated, or double pawns (the Z notation type colon

might
be useful for double pawns, but I can't find the others).

You are right, I couldn't find these.

These symbols may be somewhere in the process, of course -- it
would be useful to know definitely if they are.

I'll ask Unicode. Is there somewhere on the net a comprehensive
list of these symbols to point them to? (the ones that I have/know of
are written in Italian, English would be better).

P.

Maybe Informators homepage?

http://www.sahovski.co.yu/other/index.php?other=6

Odd Gunnar

Old January 7th 04, 12:39 AM
Pierpaolo BERNARDI

"Odd Gunnar Malin" ha scritto nel messaggio ...

I'll ask Unicode. Is there somewhere on the net a comprehensive
list of these symbols to point them to? (the ones that I have/know of
are written in Italian, English would be better).

Maybe Informators homepage?

http://www.sahovski.co.yu/other/index.php?other=6

Thanks. I had looked at the Informator web site, but I missed this page.

P.