Old December 1st 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Fritz 10 FRC option is greedy. Won't allow other FRC engines.

After installing Fritz 10...and trying out the new FRC option...I've
noticed Chessbase has made it nearly impossible to import UCI engines
that support the Fischer Random mode.

When you hit Ctrl-N to start a new game..you get the option to play
normal, FRC or Suicide. The problem appears to be this:

When you select FRC...Fritz 10 immediately stops whatever engine you've
loaded into the memory and switches over to Fritz 960. This I'm assuming
is the specialized version of Fritz 10 that can understand the Fischer
Random rules.

However, if you have downloaded many of the good UCI engines on the web
and configured them prior to use with the Fritz GUI...you can't use for
example...Herman or TheBaron in Fritz 10. When I tried to manually
install these engines into Fritz 10 - I get the error message "Herman
1.5 must be modified." ?!

I don't know what's going on...but here's the strange thing. If you
switch over to normal chess mode in Fritz 10...you see Herman and The
Baron correctly listed in the Engine list since you've already installed
them into the Chessbase Engine folder. But...you can't use them in FRC
mode. Only Fritz 960 is allowed.

There is a temporary workaround. I haven't personally tested it yet in
Fritz 10 but here's a way around this ridiculousness. First of all...you
have to modify the Opening Training book to include Fischer Random setup
positions. Once you include them into the Opening Training book...save
it and open this up in Fritz 10 and choose Opening Training. Then select
the newly installed Fischer Random positions you've included and choose
one of them. At this point...you can now select Herman or TheBaron or
others using the Change Engine option in the Menu bar. Since you're now
in the Fritz 10 GUI...I'm assuming Herman or The Baron will work
correctly using the FRC rules.

Has anybody tried this?