Old December 5th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Remarkable humans.

Poor Kramnic. He received a mere $500,000 for his time and trouble.

Well, we've reached the point where we must brag on any human who has the
remarkable ability to hold his own against a computer. Just to draw the
damn things speaks well of our extraordinary brains. How on earth can a man
do that? What a marvelous creature we are. Soon, the most frequent result
will be more like Michael Adams' than like Mramnik's. And I see young
Radjabov lost to his computer opponent. We're losing any sense of
humiliation at losing to them. Headlines will extol our greatness when we
manage to draw a game against a computer.

Wilma
Old December 5th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Hi Wilma

Wilma wrote:

Poor Kramnic. He received a mere $500,000 for his time and trouble.

I believe it was 500,000 *euros* which, I think, is about US$625,000.

Well, we've reached the point where we must brag on any human who has the
remarkable ability to hold his own against a computer. Just to draw the
damn things speaks well of our extraordinary brains. How on earth can a man
do that? What a marvelous creature we are. Soon, the most frequent result
will be more like Michael Adams' than like Mramnik's. And I see young
Radjabov lost to his computer opponent. We're losing any sense of
humiliation at losing to them. Headlines will extol our greatness when we
manage to draw a game against a computer.

Wilma

I am at a loss to understand the sense in which players like Kramnik,
Adams and Radjabov are *not* remarkable.

Do we argue that Olympic sprinters are puny, just because we have jet
aircraft?

Mark

Old December 6th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Yes, someday a man beating a computer at chess will be comparable to a
man outrunning a motorcycle.

Wilma

"Mark Houlsby" wrote in
ups.com:

Hi Wilma

Old December 6th 06, 09:52 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Wilma wrote:
Yes, someday a man beating a computer at chess will be comparable to
a man outrunning a motorcycle.

You mean it will happen in every single Hollywood action movie? Cool!

Dave.

--
David Richerby Poetic Confusing Tool (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a handy household tool but you can't
Old December 6th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

David Richerby wrote:
Wilma wrote:
Yes, someday a man beating a computer at chess will be comparable to
a man outrunning a motorcycle.

You mean it will happen in every single Hollywood action movie? Cool!

And even then he will beat the computer by using a bat and not his brain.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse