Old December 8th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

Default GM David Bronstein dies at 82

"zdrakec" wrote in message
ps.com...
*weeps*

zdrakec

David Bronstein wrote what is perhaps the most admired tournament report in
all of chess writing. If you don't have his '53, get it.

I was telling a world champion chess programmer about Bronstein, that he
was the first GM to play the first chess computer, but foolishly volunteered
to give it Queen odds - and to his dismay, lost the game!

After insisting on a re-match Bronstein announced a mate-in-8 in the middle
game.

"Oh, I know all about that," replied Dr. Hyatt, "we still use it as a
standard test for evaluating chess engines."

From Russian sources, historians, and others who 'were there', David
Ionovich was also known to be incorruptible, and perhaps the strongest
player never to become a world champion. As Kasparov has noted, he brought
not just great art to the chess-board, but occupied some realm beyond that.

Phil Innes

Old December 13th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

I have very fond memories of Mr. Bronstein. Back in the early 90s he did a
lecture and simul at the Dallas Chess Club.

At the time I knew very little about chess.

He played e4.

I replied with e5.

He then played f4.

Inside my head, I shouted, "What is THAT?!?!" :^)

I lost, soundly, in less than 20 moves, but I did make one move that made
him think for about 5 seconds! Yea!

Mark

"Chess One" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"zdrakec" wrote in message
ps.com...
*weeps*

zdrakec

David Bronstein wrote what is perhaps the most admired tournament report
in all of chess writing. If you don't have his '53, get it.

I was telling a world champion chess programmer about Bronstein, that he
was the first GM to play the first chess computer, but foolishly
volunteered to give it Queen odds - and to his dismay, lost the game!

After insisting on a re-match Bronstein announced a mate-in-8 in the
middle game.

"Oh, I know all about that," replied Dr. Hyatt, "we still use it as a
standard test for evaluating chess engines."

From Russian sources, historians, and others who 'were there', David

Old December 15th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

The Halls wrote:
I have very fond memories of Mr. Bronstein. Back in the early 90s
he did a lecture and simul at the Dallas Chess Club.

At the time I knew very little about chess.
He played e4.
I replied with e5.
He then played f4.

Inside my head, I shouted, "What is THAT?!?!" :^)

I lost, soundly, in less than 20 moves, but I did make one move that made
him think for about 5 seconds! Yea!

He was probably shouting, inside his head, ``What is THAT?!?!'' :-)

Dave.

--
David Richerby Addictive Pointy-Haired Painting (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a Renaissance masterpiece
Old December 16th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

I lost, soundly, in less than 20 moves, but I did make one move that made
him think for about 5 seconds! Yea!

He was probably shouting, inside his head, ``What is THAT?!?!'' :-)

Dave.

chuckle To be honest, Dave, I never thought of it that way! You could be
right - but I prefer to believe the other route :^P

I still remember it like it was yesterday. He walked up to my board and
with no hesitation moved his arm as if to move a piece. He caught himself,
thought, and then made a move.

To have actually played a game with him is such a blessing.

I remember being on a flight from Moscow to Germany back in October of 1997.
I had the aisle seat, and it looked as if I would have the 2 seats next to
me to stretch out. Next thing I knew, Anatoly Karpov and 3 other guys
walked down the aisle! Karpov was on my row, and took the window seat. I
did manage to exchange a couple of words with him, but he slept almost the
whole flight. I talked briefly with the guy next to me, who was in Karpov's
group. That was another fun memory.