Old January 9th 04, 01:53 AM
José de Paula

Default jose-chess & FreeBSD

Hail all. I'm trying to compile and/or run jose-chess under the FreeBSD
5.1 operating system. So far I could compile the beast without flaws
using FreeBSD's native JDK-1.4.2; the problem is, when I try to run jose
under this same JDK, all I see is a blank window; no menus, no bitmaps,
nothing. Is there something missing from the source distribution shown
in sourceforge.net? Perhaps the default lang.properties, eco.keys and
other necessary files available only in the binary distribution.

I could not run the linux-intel version; the install program finishes
saying my platform is not supported, and so even using the Linux Sun
JDK-1.4.2; for this reason, I could not pick the missing files from the
binary distribution in order to complete my own build. I think these are
the only things that are missing for a fully running jose-chess under
FreeBSD.

I compiled jose-chess omitting the following files & packages:

de.jose.FlyBy
de.jose.Servlet
de.jose.web.*
de.jose.devtools.*
de.jose.window.OnlineReport
de.jose.db.JDataStoreAdapter
de.jose.task.db.CreatePositionIndex3

And picked the following files at various random sites on the Internet to
help compile jose:

jh.jar
mysql.jar
metouia.jar
j3dcore.jar
j3dutils.jar
j3daudio.jar
vecmath.jar
skinlf.jar

As you see, I quite did my job; I really want the missing files (the
Portuguese translation needs an update ;-) ).

Thank you,

José de Paula
--
Existem 10 tipos de pessoas: as que sabem binário e as que não sabem.
Old January 10th 04, 09:56 AM
Peter Sch?fer

José de Paula wrote in message uim...
Hail all. I'm trying to compile and/or run jose-chess under the FreeBSD
5.1 operating system. So far I could compile the beast without flaws
using FreeBSD's native JDK-1.4.2; the problem is, when I try to run jose
under this same JDK, all I see is a blank window; no menus, no bitmaps,
nothing. Is there something missing from the source distribution shown
in sourceforge.net? Perhaps the default lang.properties, eco.keys and
other necessary files available only in the binary distribution.

Mac OS X users have reported similar errors. Do you find any
information in "error.log", or "stderr.log" ?

It looks like some basic drawing problem within the JRE.
I am currently testing jose on Windows and Linux and have not yet seen
such problems.

If the installer doesn't work, please try this package:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/j...ar.gz?download

it's a gzipped file w/out an installer. It contains a JRE (for Linux,
however).

As you see, I quite did my job; I really want the missing files (the
Portuguese translation needs an update ;-) ).

Great job ;-)
But I don't think it solves you problem :-(
You might, however, use a debugger to track down the problem.

I will send you the translation diffs (i.e. only those entries that
have changed)...

Best Wishes, Peter
Old January 11th 04, 04:04 PM
José de Paula

The precompiled jose-1.2.2, the .tgz that comes with a JRE, ran very
smoothly under FreeBSD 5.1, with Sun JDK natively compiled for that
platform, at least as well as the Linux installer version under Linux.

Steps:
tar -zxf jose-122-linux-intel-jre.tar.gz
cd jose
java -jar jose.jar

Portuguese translation update soon to come!
--
Existem 10 tipos de pessoas: as que sabem binário e as que não sabem.