Old December 18th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default New ChessDB / Scid uploaded to Sourceforge.

I've uploaded a new version (3.6.4) of the chess database ChessDB
(formally Scid) to

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/

The tutorial (which I admit is far from complete) will now be installed
on a Windows system.

If anyone has a Mac running OS X, I *might* be able to create a version
if someone can give me remote access via ssh or telnet.

I can also produce binaries for Sun SPARC systems running Solaris, but I
would assume most Sun users will be happy to compile their own. But if
not, I can do that and put into a tar file (sorry, I have never worked
out how to make pgkadd format packages on SPARC)

Note, once a ChessDB database is created, the same database can be read
on UNIX, Linux, Mac or Windows systems. The format is unchanged.

Scid was an excellent database, which many say rivals or is better than
chessbase. It is multi-platform (Windows, Linux, UNIX and Mac OSX), it
can be configured for about 13 languages - and best of all, it is
completely free.

If any users of Scid would be willing to add to the tutorial, it would
be useful. The online help pages are more complete than the tutorial.

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/tutorial/

although the tutorial is somewhat better in places, as there are screen
shots and just more detailed information. If you can write a section
(those missing are clearly marked), let the newsgroup know what you will
do, so there is no duplicated effort.

People have given enough feedback about Sanny's brain-dead chess engine
- if I could get 10% of it back about this chess database, it would be
useful.

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form:

http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)
Old December 19th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Dave (from the UK) wrote:

I've uploaded a new version (3.6.4) of the chess database ChessDB
(formally Scid) to

The program compiles well here (Fedora Core 6). If you don't make a system
wide installation the path have to include chessdb's directory.

So for I didn't notice any changes to scid (except some names). What I
miss in scid is support of FRC. Do you have any plans to support it?

Volker
Old December 19th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Volker Pittlik wrote:
Dave (from the UK) wrote:

I've uploaded a new version (3.6.4) of the chess database ChessDB
(formally Scid) to

The program compiles well here (Fedora Core 6). If you don't make a system
wide installation the path have to include chessdb's directory.

Well that will be the same for any program.

So for I didn't notice any changes to scid (except some names).

A list of changes is at:

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/changes/

What I
miss in scid is support of FRC. Do you have any plans to support it?

I don't even know what FRC is. Is is some sort of protocol for a chess
engine? I might add UCI suport.

Old December 19th 06, 11:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Dave (from the UK) wrote:

I don't even know what FRC is. Is is some sort of protocol for a chess
engine? I might add UCI suport.

Fischer-Random-Chess (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer_Random_Chess).
At the moment there not so much FRC games but there is a tournament every
year in which humans and computers compete.

Because Polyglot works so well UCI support wouldn't at top priority on my
list, but it's not on me to decide of course.

Volker