Old January 9th 04, 04:36 AM
Chuck in Minot

Default Kasparov Chessmate Program rating?

At my local Target store they have "Kasparov ChessmateT Learn from a
legend!" program on clearance for $9.50 usa, and that's cheap enough even
for somebody as cheap as me. Just wondering if anybody else has it, and
what they think of it.

Thanx
===============

Old January 9th 04, 04:38 AM
Chuck in Minot

Here is a link to this program that I am considering..
http://www.broderbund.com/product.as...056015&CID=604

Old January 13th 04, 04:28 PM
Daniel D. Marsalone

"Chuck in Minot" wrote in message ...
At my local Target store they have "Kasparov ChessmateT Learn from a
legend!" program on clearance for $9.50 usa, and that's cheap enough even
for somebody as cheap as me. Just wondering if anybody else has it, and
what they think of it.

Thanx
===============

Chuck,

I bought it for the Macintosh and think that the game is fun. I don't
really know the strength but it uses the Ruffian chess engine for what
that's worth. I don't know if they modified Ruffian or what. The
highest rated "Character", Mr. G. Kasparov himself is rated 2350 in
the game. Who knows, it seems that this game doesn't get much love and
it hasn't been tested.

I just got the game last weekend and am loving it now. It is set up
more like a video game than a hardcore chess program like Fritz or
Chessmaster. This makes the game fun to play. They have two or three
dozen characters that you can play each with a postage stamp sized
head shot and brief description like "Chuck: An acoountant who
collects electronic chessboards. Just joined the chessclub last month
and is turning some heads."

Anyway you set up your own character, select a name, face, and country
and then you can play exhibition games against any of the characters
or you can go into the Kasparov Club Tournament. In tournament mode,
you play a small tournament against the characters starting out with
the easy guys and working your way up to Garry. You play four games in
each tournament and when you when all four you move on to the next
tournament. For the next tournament the game adds two opponents who
are higher up on the totem pole and drops the lower two cats who were
in your last tournament. It is sort of like the challenge mode in
Tiger Woods Golf for the Xbox. This makes the game a lot fun. I can
see this being ported to the Xbox and PS2 with no problem.

There is an instructional part too but it is really basic and not very
good. Also there is a database of Kasparov games but none have any
annotations.

Hardcore chessplayers might goof on the game as it is not serious
enough and lacks a lot of features. Sure if I could have only one game
then I'd probably choose Fritz 8 on the PC or Sigma on the Mac
(Although I hear that Chessmaster 9000 is coming out for the Mac and
I'll give that a shot), but for $10 you can have a lot of chess fun
with this game and get your money's worth.

It's fun to have the little Kasparov head watching over your game
saying "WOW!" or "Great move" every now and then, but then I liked
EA's Kasparov's Gambit back in the DOS days with the low rez
multimedia GK kibitzing during the game.

Ciao,
Daniel Marsalone
Old January 14th 04, 12:08 AM
Chuck in Minot