Old December 21st 06, 08:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Move validation on webserver

Hey guys,
I'm running a correspondence chess community online where approx 2000
members are active per day playing their games. Everything is
programmed in PHP and Javascript, including the function to validate
each move, but now I need to optimise that particular part.

Question 1: Is it easy to make a "link" between my PHP-webserver
(apache) and a standalone app running in the background only validating
incoming moves? It's all run on a Debian Linux-machine.

Question 2: I know quite a bit of Java and C# (.Net/Mono) from before
which I know isn't the perfect match with linux. What do you think?

Question 3: My idea is to have the validation app taking a FEN-string
and the move, and returning a bool, whether it's correct or not. (or
maybe returning an error msg.) Would you say it's the right track?

Finally: Are there any open source libraries/classes available for
validating the chess rules? I've looked at the Crafty source, but of
course the easy way would be to find a library which only purpose is to
validate. I have code I wrote before, but it could be improved
immensly.

If you have knowledge even in only one of these questions I would be
very greatful. Thanks for your time!

regards,
Sambar