Old December 25th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Outrageous Announcement of the US Champiobnship

At 02:30 PM 12/25/2006 EST, wrote:

I spoke to John Henderson today, and he said that the US Championship will probably begin in May, rather than March as earlier announced. I am glad to hear this, as March has become very short notice for the players, and now we can tell them they can make other commitments for March and April without worrying about conflict with the Championship.

Duncan Oxley of ICC has announced that the State Champions qualifier will be played on ICC in late February and early March. Henderson said that the qualifier for the final women's spot would be held on ICC at about the same time.

Henderson also said that he was preparing a proposal regarding format for Erik Anderson, and that he expects to send it to Anderson shortly, hopefully in a few days. If Anderson agrees with the proposal he will send it to USCF for our approval.

It sounds like Anderson wants four regional centers and still wants some matches played online, but has asked Henderson to include some sort of compromise which would enable players who object to online play to avoid it. Also, after the field is reduced to eight players the matches to go from 8 to 2 will probably be played over the board, at a Merrill Lynch office in New York. The final match is still planned for Las Vegas in November and it sounds like (hopefully) four games, not two.

Bill Goichberg

I vote NO.

This is absolutely unacceptable.

This is supposed to be the US Championship organized by the USCF. This
is not the ICC Online championship. (Henderson works for ICC.)

No prize money. No dates. Only possibly the final eight play face to
face.

Plus there is the high-handedness of Bill Goichberg in simply
announcing this event, without consulting the other five USCF board
members or the players or the US Championship Committee.

This deal will be rejected by everybody. I think it is time for Bill
Goichberg to step down. Bill is just not up to the job.

Old December 25th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

samsloan wrote:
[...]

Goichberg should step down immediately and I should be the next USCF
President. You must vote for me for another 4 years!