Old January 10th 04, 12:12 PM
Tom Mueller

Default press question re/ chess servers

I am writing an article on computers and chess. Can anyone name for me
the major chess servers for internet play, and give me a rough idea of
the number of games played daily at each?

Many thanks,
Tom Mueller

Old January 12th 04, 04:34 AM
alex

I'd love to charge you a truck load of money to do your research.

You can get some idea to your question if you visit yahoo chess,
http://games.yahoo.com/ and see the magnitude of activity at just that one
location. anyone ranked over 2000 in yahoo chess is 99% chance of running a
strong chess program. But they won't tell you that. :-)

Old January 12th 04, 02:37 PM
Gregory Topov

"Tom Mueller" wrote in message
I am writing an article on computers and chess. Can anyone name for me
the major chess servers for internet play, and give me a rough idea of
the number of games played daily at each?

Many thanks,
Tom Mueller

The main ones would be:
ICC -
www.chessclub.com - pay only
FICS - www.freechess.org - free
USCL - www.chess-live.com - free for USCF members, pay only for others
WCN - www.worldchessnetwork.com - World Chess Network

Note that Yahoo, Pogo etc do NOT classify as chess servers. For reasons why,
read below.
You can get the number of games by typing: "ustat" or "gstat" in the command
line of most chess servers.

Check the chess.about.com articles about "Where to Play Chess Online"
http://chess.about.com/library/ble29wto.htm

However, they are incomplete, and their description about FICS is
inaccurate. Someone wrote the following to the author:

As an avid chess player, I have personally checked out all the chess servers
and compared them extensively. World Chess has rather irritating software
and is not generally high regarded by the chess playing community. The only
real chess servers are ICC, Chess.net, USCL and FICS (freechess.org).
Chess.net has gone downhill fast after it became a pay-only service exactly
12 months ago, and is not as well populated as it used to be. USCL used to
offer free regular accounts, but as of an announcement last week, it now
limits them to USCF members (others can have paying accounts of course).

But the real point of my email: Your description about FICS was incomplete
and somewhat inaccurate. You basically evaluated connecting to FICS with
the java board. However, I would say that 90% of players on FICS do not
play with the java-board interface! There are many (over 10!) delightful
graphical interfaces that can be used to connect to FICS instead, and they
make the playing experience far more enjoyable. For instance:
Thief: www.thief-interface.com/ (somewhat technical, but highly
configurable)
iNemesis: www.ideabuilders.com/public/ (more user friendly, also
customizable)
There are many other excellent graphical interfaces that can be used on
FICS - these are only two of the better ones among many. With these
interfaces, many of the problems you described about FICS are not an issue,
because settings in the interfaces allow you to do rematches, select piece
sets, board colours and many, many options! To truly judge FICS fairly, you
should try it with one of these interfaces (each has its own merits of
course), and then compare it to ICC or USCL.

It is also unfortunate that you tried FICS just when they were having some
down time - this is certainly abnormal and as a rule their service is highly
reliable (and free! what more could you ask for?). Unlike many other chess
servers, FICS has also stood the test of time. In terms of amount of
players and features, in my opinion it is second only to ICC, which is a
pay-only server of course and thus really in a different category. For
someone looking to play for free on a regular basis, FICS is easily the best
choice! The casual chess player may not want the bother of downloading
software etc, so hence Yahoo or MSN may be a better choice if you only play
once a month, but if you play regularly, a real chess server like FICS, USCL
or ICC is a must.
Having relatively accurate ratings, being able to play chess variants, chat
with other chess players, are all essential features of these chess servers
that should be mentioned, and are ways in which they are easily superior to
places like Yahoo/MSN etc.

As well as FICS I have played regularly on USCL (I love their interface),
but now that regular membership is no longer free, I am intending only to
play on FICS in the futre. Unlike USCL, there's never any difficulty
getting players on FICS either, generally 400-500+ online at any time.

For the record I'm not associated with FICS staff at all. However, I did
want to share this information with you, in order to enable you to give a
more complete/accurate picture of FICS. It really deserves a higher rating
and review than what you have given.

My suggestion: Try downloading the free iNemesis graphical interface, and
give FICS another try over the next week or so. I'm convinced you will be
more than impressed, and that the more you try it, the more pleased you will
be with it! I think it's only fair to people looking to play chess on the
internet, that they get an accurate and complete picture of their choices!
If you have any further questions/problems, give me a shout, and I'd be only
too glad to help!

From one chess player to another,

Best regards,

PS: Below is a link to an excellent page Yahoo vs the Chess Servers, that
you really *must* consult before writing your final article! Check this
page to see all the benefits of a *real* chess server likeFICS
(freechess.org), as opposed to game sites like Yahoo.
http://www.edcollins.com/chess/yahoo-vs-servers.htm

It's a great page from Ed Collins about Yahoo vs the Chess Servers. Among
other things, he gives a table showing just some of the advantages in
playing chess on the chess servers, with a chess interface, compared with
playing chess at Yahoo! and their Java applet.

Check his page for all the details, but here are a few quotes:

"A popular place to play chess on-line is at the Yahoo! Games site. At
times, I see anywhere from 4,000 to 5,000 people, or more, logged into
the chess room, playing here!! These figures never cease to amaze me
because Yahoo! is NOT the ideal place to play on-line chess! That
distinction belongs to the chess servers, namely, US Chess Live, FICS,
Chess.net and to a lesser degree, ICC.
"This page is my effort to help educate those who are not yet aware of
the on-line chess servers and all of the many advantages that they
offer.
"Unless you are a "newbie" and you simply have not yet learned how to
download programs and unzip and run them, I can see NO advantage in
playing chess at Yahoo!. The only advantage in playing chess at Yahoo!
is that it caters to computer newbies.

--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old January 15th 04, 12:24 PM
frank

Default Sort by ECO

wrote in message ...

ccctournament
http://amateurschach.de
phrocrew my nu zite
ladiest
probivnoi

Sort by ECO
Old January 19th 04, 12:15 PM
trier

Windows Longhorn PDC Build 4051
TCP8W - T8PQJ - WWRRH - QH76C - 99FBW

Windows Longhorn (Up To Biuld 4029)

CKY24 - Q8QRH - X3KMR - C6BCY - T847Y

Windows Server 2003 RTM VLK:

K4RBR - F3K42 - M9RXG - 48TPR - H6BPB
C4C24 - QDY9P - GQJ4F - 2DB6G - PFQ9W
JB88F - WT2Q3 - DPXTT - Y8GHG - 7YYQY

Windows .NET Server (RC1 ? RC2):

RBDC9 - VTRC8 - D7972 - J97JY - PRVMG

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002/2004

XJM6Q - BQ8HW - T6DFB - Y934T - YD4YT
C82GJ - YH627 - 72GBT - R7XV7 - M7Y4B

Windows XP Professional Corporate VLK:

FCKGW - RHQQ2 - YXRKT - 8TG6W - 2B7Q8
XWVHQ - XV43D - 8TTF6 - WCBMD - RTM8R

Windows XP (Home and Pro) Build 2600, Dell OEM, Trial Version:

BX6HT - MDJKW - H2J4X - BX67W - TVVFG
CDWVP - GBJRG - PDJRG - Y6CMB - HCGG3