Old January 11th 04, 02:55 PM
Euc1id

Default How to update Big Database 2004?

I've just ordered the Chessbase database "Big Database 2004" with some 2.6
million games. It reportedly contains games through about mid-November 2003.

Does Chessbase provides any downloads to update that database from its
website? If so, what's the URL?

I've read that a good place to get updates is TWIC:
http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html
Based on a quick projection it looks like TWIC publishes roughly 75,000 new
games per year. No doubt they're of the highest quality, however my hunch is
that's probably only about half or less of the total games played &
published each year. What other reliable source(s) of new,
mostly-master-level games are there -- that TWIC does not include?
--
Euc1id

Old January 12th 04, 10:34 PM
Mike Ogush

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:55:40 GMT, "Euc1id" wrote:

I've just ordered the Chessbase database "Big Database 2004" with some 2.6
million games. It reportedly contains games through about mid-November 2003.

Does Chessbase provides any downloads to update that database from its
website? If so, what's the URL?

I've read that a good place to get updates is TWIC:
http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html
Based on a quick projection it looks like TWIC publishes roughly 75,000 new
games per year. No doubt they're of the highest quality, however my hunch is
that's probably only about half or less of the total games played &
published each year. What other reliable source(s) of new,
mostly-master-level games are there -- that TWIC does not include?
--
Euc1id

I suggest looking at Lars Balzer's link page:
http://www.chessgameslinks.lars-balzer.info/
There is a section of links to pages with periodic updates of games
played worldwide. Also some of the country-specific links have
information about how recently/often they are updated.

Note: If you download from more than one source, you will need to
eliminate duplicates yourself.

Mike Ogush

Old January 13th 04, 12:34 PM
Euc1id

"Mike Ogush" wrote in message
[...]

-------------------------------

I've looked at that site several times but don't find it useful. There are
too many links. I've tried a few of them in the past but ran into problems.
It would take a major project to do anything with them IMHO. I was hoping
that somebody had already been through the process of discovering how best
to update the basic annual Big Database from Chessbase. I'd like specific
links and recommendations. If I must go through that discovery process on my
own, then I'll publish what I find. Maybe there really is nothing else
worthwhile besides the TWIC updates, I don't know. Again I want mostly
quality master level games, not junk.
--
Euc1id

Old January 14th 04, 09:34 AM
Lars Balzer

Hi!

Well, Mike already said it.
At http://www.chessgameslinks.lars-balzer.info
there is a section of periodically published games:
http://www.chessgameslinks.lars-balz...ions_worldwide

There you will find the famous Twic, but there are also some (not too
much ;-) ) other ressources which are worth looking for needs like yours.
The game- and editing-quality of games in this section is pretty good!

ciao
Lars

I've looked at that site several times but don't find it useful. There are
too many links. I've tried a few of them in the past but ran into problems.
It would take a major project to do anything with them IMHO. I was hoping
that somebody had already been through the process of discovering how best
to update the basic annual Big Database from Chessbase. I'd like specific
links and recommendations. If I must go through that discovery process on my
own, then I'll publish what I find. Maybe there really is nothing else
worthwhile besides the TWIC updates, I don't know. Again I want mostly
quality master level games, not junk.

--
Lars Balzer
Webmaster of ChessGamesLinks
Linkcollection to free downloadable chessgames
http://www.chessgameslinks.lars-balzer.info