Old December 27th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default 'Non-Real-Time' Computer Chess Game

A relatively new subscriber to this group, I am hoping that this is the
most correct medium to which I can post this request, or inquiry.

Both my brother and I are avid chess players; however, due to
restraints such as time, circumstance and location, we are not always
in a position to play. Because my brother is employed with NASA, he is
extremely busy (albeit that he plays any games, such as chess not while
on duty, but at home), and, because I am stuck with the old phone line
hook-up to the Internet, playing in 'real-time' is simply not
practical. It is not only slower, but it also ties up my one and only
phone line -- we live in a very rural area where the only means of
obtaining high-speed access would be via satellite, which is
cost-restrictive.

Having this said, I am looking for a computer chess game that my
brother and I can play, but 'not in real time.' I am wondering if such
a program does exist, one that would keep the board as it is, until the
next player chooses to move, and then the move is sent to my e-mail and
then demonstrated on 'my board?'

If there is such a platform, and someone knows of one, I would
certainly appreciate it. The other issue, which may or may not be a
factor, is that my brother uses a MAC, while I use the PC.

Please, if you would, e-mail me directly.

Thanks,

Mark

Old December 27th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

http://www.chessontheweb.com

Old December 27th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
Teo Teo is offline

http://www.itsyourturn.com/
hi from Italy
Teo

Old December 28th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

mea305 wrote:

Please, if you would, e-mail me directly.

Why you shouldn't ask for E-mail responses on Usenet:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usene...responses.html

Old December 28th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 27 Dec 2006 06:11:14 -0800, mea305 wrote:

we live in a very rural area where the only means of
obtaining high-speed access would be via satellite, which is
cost-restrictive.

Satellite connections aren't really ideal for interactive real-time
applications anyway.

Having this said, I am looking for a computer chess game that my
brother and I can play, but 'not in real time.'

Besides the sites already mentioned by others, there is also the Free
International Correspondence Game Server at http://www.ficgs.com/

M.

Old December 28th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:00:08 +0000, Guy Macon wrote:

Why you shouldn't ask for E-mail responses on Usenet:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usene...responses.html

It takes little effort to send a -copy- of the newsgroup message via email,
if the poster politely asks for it. His dial-up situation is something I
had dealt with for years; if I was him, I'd not use Google Groups but a
real usenet provider and a reader with offline support. While I don't use
my every-day email address for usenet, the address above is valid, although
I check it perhaps only once every two months -- so using it to send an
email copy isn't a biggie. I generally agree with the points made in the
text linked to above, though.

M.
Old December 29th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Guy Macon wrote:
mea305 wrote:

Please, if you would, e-mail me directly.

Why you shouldn't ask for E-mail responses on Usenet:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usene...responses.html

Damn newbies.

Back in the day, the most common practice was to ask for e-mail replies
and to promise to post a summary of all replies.

Any idiot can post "rules of usenet" - that doesn't make them right.

--
Kenneth Sloan
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
Old January 1st 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Besides the options mentioned, sites that are minimalist (i.e. suitable
for slow dial-up access) include

http://www.postcardchess.com

and the ultimate in minimalism, play by email with character-based
diagrams through Richard's PBeM server:

http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/