Old December 27th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer
Rob Rob is offline

Default The RGC Chess Challenge

Taylor Kingston wrote:
On Dec 27, 9:55 am, "Rob" wrote:

We have a few more posters who we really want to be players.This is a
rare chance for Neil, Taylor , Sam and Louis to test their metal.

The word you want is "mettle," Rob, meaning "spirit, courage, or
fortitude" according to Webster. However, without any way to prevent
use of computers, what you may get in your tournament is actually a
test of metal, and the semi-conductor silicon, rather than human
mettle. That is a main reason I am not interested.

I understand that there may be some that might want to cheat. But these
could cheat in any number of ways. Yeah.. I thought mettle but decided
against it . LOL

I personally don't care if someone uses a computer or not against me.
It really wouldn't change the outcome any for me. And others will say"
I don't want to play in this or that because I don't want to play chess
with one of the players" or " I don't think so and so is honorable" or
any number of other reasons.

I can't speak for anyone else, but as for me I am honest and an average
player at best. My goal is to make friends and try to improve my play
in the process. Using a computer would serve neither of those purposes.
There are a great deal of people signed up and it should be a good fun
time. I understand that there are some who will wish to remain seperate
from the majority for their own reasons. Your reason Taylor is a
logical one and I respect it. I would submit that anyone "exposed" as
to having used a computer in this tournament would be toast.

Should you or anyone else like to have a listing of those agreeing to
play, email me directly and I will provide the information with
discresion. I believe you would enjoy they play the most Taylor, as I
still hold you in high regard.
Happy New Year.
Rob

ps. should you wish to play as a pseudonym, thats fine too. I don't
need to know who they player is.