Old January 4th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Fritz 8 CD question

Hello all.

I have a genuine (purchased) Fritz 8 CD, and installed it my machine.

Now, every time I start the program, it prompts me for the CD, in
drive. If I ignore it, it says it may not be a genuine copy, but seems
to operate fine.

My questions are as follows;

1. Will the program operate fully, if I continue to click the check
button with no CD in the drive?

2. If no, is there a crack for the nuisance? (I just don't like
keeping a CD in the drive all the time)

Thanks!
Old January 4th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"Netsock" schreef in bericht
Hello all.

I have a genuine (purchased) Fritz 8 CD, and installed it my machine.

Now, every time I start the program, it prompts me for the CD, in
drive. If I ignore it, it says it may not be a genuine copy, but seems
to operate fine.

My questions are as follows;

1. Will the program operate fully, if I continue to click the check
button with no CD in the drive?

2. If no, is there a crack for the nuisance? (I just don't like
keeping a CD in the drive all the time)

Thanks!

Have you tried to click the check wth the CD in the drive?
If it's a genuine copy, it will only ask you for a check once, you see.

Old January 4th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Ruud wrote:

"Netsock" schreef in bericht
Hello all.

I have a genuine (purchased) Fritz 8 CD, and installed it my machine.

Now, every time I start the program, it prompts me for the CD, in
drive. If I ignore it, it says it may not be a genuine copy, but seems
to operate fine.

My questions are as follows;

1. Will the program operate fully, if I continue to click the check
button with no CD in the drive?

No. ISTR It will lose on time when it is its turn to move after a
while. HIARCS10 is particularly annoying in this respect as I have
found no way to circumvent its legitimate user annoyance / anti-piracy
feature even after registering the software.

The free engines bundled with the distribution will all run OK though.

2. If no, is there a crack for the nuisance? (I just don't like
keeping a CD in the drive all the time)

Thanks!

Is there a crack for HIARCS10 (I own a full copy but never play against
the engine much because it requires me to go and dig out the disk and
put it in the drive). Also it mangles the settings for Shredder10 which
runs under the same interface.

Have you tried to click the check wth the CD in the drive?
If it's a genuine copy, it will only ask you for a check once, you see.

I think you have to put the registration code in that is printed on the
front cover page of the manual and then visit the CB site to register
it on your computer. After that the Fritz8 engine runs very nicely and
never again asks for the CD.

Shredder10 is also well behaved after registering but HIARCS10 is a
PITA.
(I dislike Chessmasters CD challenge approach too. I would be happy to
bind the program to a particular MAC address and video card for years
at a time - hint to developers )

Does anyone know a convenient hack to allow different engines from the
same series of CB product to be given icons on the desktop that will
start a specific named engine?

I have Fritz9, Shredder10, HIARCS10 icons but they all start the last
used engine in the series under slightly different GUIs - behaviour
which I find particularly perverse.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old January 4th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Netsock wrote:
I have a genuine (purchased) Fritz 8 CD, and installed it my machine.

Now, every time I start the program, it prompts me for the CD, in
drive. If I ignore it, it says it may not be a genuine copy, but seems
to operate fine.

It does that from time to time. If you put the CD in the drive, it'll leave you in peace for another while.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Moistened.com (TM): it's like an
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ E-commerce portal but it's moist!
Old January 5th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ruud wrote:

[...]

Shredder 10 UCI is a great way to keep it separate from the Fritz interface
and away from all the other engines (H10, J10, etc.)

Chessmaster 10 has a patch to circumvent the need for the CD everytime you
run it... the patch works great!

Old January 5th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Does anyone know a convenient hack to allow different engines from the
same series of CB product to be given icons on the desktop that will
start a specific named engine?

After reaching terminal frustration with the behavior you describe
below, I came up with an inelegant batch file solution that has the
decided merit of working, even if it is a tad slow on startup and
kludgy. If you want to try it (at your own risk, as it shuffles
directories around like a shell game) email me at
and I'll send it to you. I use it now all the time to switch between
Fritz and Hiarcs.

I have Fritz9, Shredder10, HIARCS10 icons but they all start the last
used engine in the series under slightly different GUIs - behaviour
which I find particularly perverse.

It is very annoying indeed.

Old January 8th 07, 10:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:

Does anyone know a convenient hack to allow different engines from the
same series of CB product to be given icons on the desktop that will
start a specific named engine?

After reaching terminal frustration with the behavior you describe
below, I came up with an inelegant batch file solution that has the
decided merit of working, even if it is a tad slow on startup and
kludgy. If you want to try it (at your own risk, as it shuffles
directories around like a shell game) email me at

and I'll send it to you. I use it now all the time to switch between
Fritz and Hiarcs.

Thanks Chipschap for this idea!

Yes. Please do. You could even post it to Usenet with a suitable health
warning all in capitals. Perhaps it might shame Chessbase into making
their latest GUI work properly with multiple series 10 engines.

It is insane to have four different icons that all start the same last
used engine but under marginally different looking interfaces.

I have Fritz9, Shredder10, HIARCS10 icons but they all start the last
used engine in the series under slightly different GUIs - behaviour
which I find particularly perverse.

It is very annoying indeed.

It is weird. Their calling syntax is

ChessProgram.exe -shredder
ChessProgram.exe -hiarcs
etc.

But what is does is load the previous engine under a different style
GUI. Utterly useless!!!
I began to wonder if it was something wrong with my installation.

Thanks in advance for the info about which directories to shuffle.

Cheers,
Martin Brown