Old January 17th 04, 03:52 AM
dajava

Default an Europian chess server?

Hi,

Having visited some internet chess sites based on some discussions
here, I got to have this interesting question.

It seems that all the chess servers are located in the USA.

Chess is a typical Western game.
Then is there an Europian chess server?

dajava,

Old January 17th 04, 03:47 PM
dajava

"Ulrich Dirr" wrote in message ...
dajava wrote:
Hi,

Having visited some internet chess sites based on some discussions
here, I got to have this interesting question.

It seems that all the chess servers are located in the USA.

Chess is a typical Western game.
Then is there an Europian chess server?

dajava,

www.chessgate.de

Thanks a lot!
I downloaded its free client
and logged as a guest to observe a game.

Any other servers not in the USA?

dajava,
Old January 17th 04, 08:55 PM
jonnywildboar

playchess.com is a live german site - lots and lots of games

letsplaychess.com is 'email' chess site - lots and lots of games.

both good at what they do, (is that doo)
jonny.

"I used to beat the wife every night
- then it was every other night"

- Ned Flanders
Old January 17th 04, 09:55 PM
David Richerby

dajava wrote:
Having visited some internet chess sites based on some discussions
here, I got to have this interesting question.

It seems that all the chess servers are located in the USA.

Chess is a typical Western game.
Then is there an Europian chess server?

Does it really matter where the server is? Transatlantic bandwidth is
more than good enough to allow a European to play on an American server
and, if that's where the popular servers happen to be located, why not
use them? There are always plenty of Europeans logged in to FICS, for
example, especially at the times when Europeans might be interested in
playing chess.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Flammable Soap (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ personal hygiene product but it burns

Old January 18th 04, 04:53 AM
dajava

David Richerby wrote in message ...
dajava wrote:
Having visited some internet chess sites based on some discussions
here, I got to have this interesting question.

It seems that all the chess servers are located in the USA.

Chess is a typical Western game.
Then is there an Europian chess server?

Does it really matter where the server is?

My answer is :Yes and no.

Transatlantic bandwidth is
more than good enough to allow a European to play on an American server
and, if that's where the popular servers happen to be located, why not
use them? There are always plenty of Europeans logged in to FICS, for
example, especially at the times when Europeans might be interested in
playing chess.

By the way, how many Europian chess players are there?
How many chess players in the USA? Afirica? Latin America?

I currently make a very simple homepage for chess

dajava,

Dave.

Old January 19th 04, 04:58 PM
Sixty4

There are many European servers. But you will have difficulties
finding them at Google with the keyword "chess". These servers might
operate in their national language.
I can add 3 German servers to your list:

www.playchess.de (in English language)
freechess.de
kingchess.de

Thomas - http://www.playchess.de

Old January 20th 04, 06:00 AM
dajava

dajava wrote:
Then is there an Europian chess server?

Hi,

many thanks!

www.hangame.com

www.mgame.com

both famous game sites in South Korea offer chess playing rooms (only
in Korean)

I had no games on them
but I know hangmae has about 60 players

And, I heard that mgame has a bit more players
but it does not support castling.

No wonder there are many Europian chess servers
considering that even Korea has chess servers

I still want to add a French server to my server list.

By the way, a chess champion from Russila (or Uklaina) emigrated to
France ,say, 30 years ago
and died in hungry as he could not find chess pupils.
Is there a site (in English, French, or whatever language) to describe
the case?

dajava,