Old January 17th 04, 06:31 PM
asl

Default problem with Chessbase 8.0 table notation

Just purchased ChessBase 8.0 and really surprised that the table
notation cannot show move than 12 moves. Is this a known problem? Seem
to me a major bug for such a popular product.

Old January 17th 04, 06:51 PM
HD

You can use the scrollbars if necesary. Number of moves, font and screen
size, screenresolution, all influenze on the visible number of moves.

Old January 17th 04, 07:22 PM
asl

I played a bit with the font sizes and the table does display more
moves. But the behaviors are not consistent and non-intuitive. I could
never make it to display the entire game. Scroll bars have no effects.
Very odd.

Old January 17th 04, 08:32 PM
CeeBee

asl wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

I played a bit with the font sizes and the table does display more
moves. But the behaviors are not consistent and non-intuitive. I could
never make it to display the entire game. Scroll bars have no
effects.
Very odd.

If I drag the splitter between board window and table pane to the left it
shows me up to 23 moves at a time, depending on the size of your monitor ,
the resolution and the font size you're using.

The scrollbar works fine as well in that respect.

BTW the latest update for CB8 is Jan 12, 2004. Go to help online upgrade
if you didn't already.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old January 18th 04, 07:01 AM
asl

Thanks for the suggestion. After the update, I still couldn't display
the entire game (30+ moves) with with 8 pt font size and spread the
splitter all the way across the window. Maybe it has something to do
with the monitor and resolution, as you suggeted. I only have a 15"
monitor and running 1024x768. If this is indeed the cause, I would say
that it is a very poor program design.

Old January 18th 04, 11:35 AM
HD

There is obviously something wrong when the scrollbars doesn't work. It
shouldn't be necessary to reduce the font size that much. Then its
probably related to the OS somehow, a conflict that has nothing to do
with CB8.
When I have a lot of variations I can't see more than 13 moves on my 17"
monitor (I haven't reduced the fontsize), so I have to use scroll. It
would be a problem if they didn't work - but they do.

HD

Old January 18th 04, 01:18 PM
David Richerby

asl wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. After the update, I still couldn't display
the entire game (30+ moves) with with 8 pt font size and spread the
splitter all the way across the window. Maybe it has something to do
with the monitor and resolution, as you suggeted. I only have a 15"
monitor and running 1024x768.

The physical size of the monitor makes no difference, except that smaller
monitors don't usually support very high resolutions. It's the resolution
-- the number of dots on the screen -- that's important, not the size of
the dots.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Hilarious T-Shirt (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ fashion statement but it's a bundle