Old January 10th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Default Bill Goichberg must resign immediately

Chess One wrote:
From the USCF Forum:

"Tim Redman gets my vote for brilliant idea of the day. He has suggested
that the USCF should recognize that the Forums are (now) essentially a
political arena and make the job of Moderator that of the USCF's chief
political officer, ie the USCF President." // Mike Nolan.

Having joked this week about Pravda-in-Connecticut, at least USCF are
admitting Redman's point, that the forum is effectively a political one:
which is to say that it is at best a discussion group of chess managers, and
at worst a propaganda machine Pravda-in-Crossville.

The Candidate for political officer will need the skills of an Aleksandr
Nikitenko combined with Bakunin. I suggest they call the new forum,
Constitution, Autocracy and the Zemstvos.

or simply; The [18] '62.

Comrade Nolan, who also wrote "At this point I don't honestly care what the
Board decides to do, as long as I don't have to have anything more to do
with it. Not surprisingly, the Board is trying to kick this issue back to
the ED rather than dealing with it themselves, " might look into Nikitenko,
who did indeed have to walk this talk, twixt the devil [people, citizens,
writers] and the deep white taiiga, and its severe and beautiful
perfection - the quality of vast emptiness.

Comrade Zhivago

On USCF Forums, Bill Goichberg just posted the following regarding the
suspension of Beatriz Marinello from posting:

DECISION MADE BY MIKE NOLAN, SERVING AS A MODERATOR OF THE USCF FORUM;
BILL HALL, USCF EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR; AND BILL GOICHBERG, PRESIDENT OF
THE USCF

I was not aware of the above headline in advance and do not agree with
it. I expressed my personal opinion (that the info was confidential)
before any other Board member commented, and I did not claim that my
opinion was necessarily that of the whole Board.

Bill Goichberg

(remainder snipped)

What is going on here is that Bill Goichberg was gung-ho to suspend
both Beatriz Marinello and myself from posting to the USCF Forums, but
now that he is being challenged on this, he is saying that it was not
his fault, and that Mike Nolan should be blamed for the whole thing.

Mike Nolan is going to be made the fall-guy.

For those who have been wondering whether Goichberg is a man or a
mouse, now we know the answer. Goichberg is a mouse.

Old January 10th 07, 08:35 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Sam Sloan wrote:

[...] Goichberg is a mouse.

Sam Sloan

And you are so boring.

Wlod

Old January 10th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

I think Marinello has identified 2 different issues, which have to do with
the chess community, and not this silly blaming game of team-USCF.

She said that while the amount of money has always been confidential, the
vendors themselves never have. And since she cited no money, she caused no
offence to precedent, nor to by-laws.

She also said that Bill Goichberg was not authorised by the board to make
any such overture to a vendor, in fact at least 2 board members did not even
know of the apporach, and therefore it cannot be any issue to do with
breaking board confidentiality, instead she asked if Goichberg himself is
out of order?

Mike Nolan is going to be made the fall-guy.

I doubt it. He was instructed as employee/contractor to perform an action,
not decide the basis of the action - there is no basis I can see for any
sanction against Mike Nolan. Directives are an executive function, and
responsibile agents are in this case Bill Hall and Bill Goichberg.

Phil Innes

Old January 10th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

"Chess One" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
[...]

Assuming USCF is incorporated in TN, read the following and ask youself
whether or not financial dealings of the Board can be kept confidential at
all, and if so, for how long.

48-66-102. Inspection of records by members. -

(a) Subject to 48-66-103(c), a member is entitled to inspect and
copy, at a reasonable time and location specified by the corporation, any of
the records of the corporation described in 48-66-101(e) if the member
gives the corporation a written demand at least five (5) business days
before the date on which the member wishes to inspect and copy.

(b) A member is entitled to inspect and copy, at a reasonable time and
reasonable location specified by the corporation, any of the following
records of the corporation if the member meets the requirements of
subsection (c) and gives the corporation written notice at least five (5)
business days before the date on which the member wishes to inspect and
copy:

(1) Excerpts from any records required to be maintained under
48-66-101(a), to the extent not subject to inspection under subsection (a);

(2) Accounting records of the corporation; and

(3) Subject to 48-66-105, the membership list.

(c) A member may inspect and copy the records identified in subsection
(b) only if:

(1) The member's demand is made in good faith and for a proper
purpose;

(2) The member describes with reasonable particularity the
purpose and the records the member desires to inspect; and

(3) The records are directly connected with the purpose for which
the demand is made.

(d) The right of inspection granted by this section may not be
abolished or limited by a corporation's charter or bylaws.

(e) This section does not affect:

(1) The right of a member to inspect records under 48-57-201
or, if the member is in litigation with the corporation, to the same extent
as any other litigant; or

(2) The power of a court, independently of chapters 51-68 of this
title, to compel the production of corporate records for examination.

[Acts 1987, ch. 242, 16.02.]

Old January 10th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
link.net...

Assuming USCF is incorporated in TN,

Illinois

read the following and ask youself whether or not financial dealings of
the Board can be kept confidential at all, and if so, for how long.

The point I repeated viz. Marinello is that its not the board, its a board
member acting without the knowledge of the full board, nevermind their
permission. I don't know to what degree Illinois law varies from those you
cite for TN, but I suspect that under law, there is not substantial
difference.

Marinello raises the proper point that this is not only beyond any powers
extended to the President of the board, it is not even in their knowledge or
permit.

She asks in effect, how can mentioning the name of the potential contractee
be worthy of censure, from precedent or board confidance, and instead, is
not the behavior of the president out-of-order?

She cannot raise this issue at USCF's own forum, which is utterly
remarkable, and it is left to me, not any particular admirer of her own
representation or her own presidency, to raise the point here, where it can
be noticed.

It is a fair point which Bill Goichberg might well acknowledge to his
credit, rather than stonewall, and thus up the ante to the calls for
resignation. I like Bill Goichberg as much as Mz Marinello, which is not to
great degree, yet I do respect what they both try to do, and credit them
with the intention to get things done, even if it must be at such personal
levels of exposure.

What is absent in a mature organisation is something replacing personality -
and that is system. Better businessnes know this, and there are really no
excuses for failing to systematise routine and repetitive events, and there
is only risk and double-edged worth of persisting in personalising issues to
this, frankly amateur, extent.

Like Kirsan for Fide, things will happen 'soon' he says, and so will a
sponsor for the US Championship happen 'soon'. I expect prospective
participants in the national championship will have cleared their calendars
for 'soon' month, no?

Phil