Old January 19th 04, 01:08 PM
Simon

Default Rebel 12 for DOS - New Version

Hi all,

Rebel 12 for DOS v 12.00.02 is now available for download at the following
http://members.home.nl/matador/chess810.htm

FYI

All the Best

Simon

Old January 19th 04, 06:30 PM
EZoto

I downloaded it and I'm kinda of stunned. Though I use dos and most
are into the XP thing, to give away a full version of rebel. All I
can say is thanks. Mighty strong too and sophisticated. Only bad
thing is I can't change the hashtable size in pure Dos. I have to be
in Win95 to change the hashtable. Then again it is strong as it is
with the default hashtable.

EZoto

Old January 19th 04, 09:00 PM
EZoto

On 19 Jan 2004 21:07:35 GMT, CeeBee
wrote:

I don't understand. I am using Dos with Win 3.11. I don't have a
display window like it says when using 95 and up. Actually I am using
Dos 7.1. with WFW 3.11 and 256meg ram.

EZoto

EZoto wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

Only bad
thing is I can't change the hashtable size in pure Dos.

Yes you can.
Use the approriate switch for that when executing the program command.

W1 512 Kb
W2 1 Mb
W3 2 Mb
W4 4 Mb
W5 13 Mb
W6 28 Mb
W7 40 Mb
W8 60 Mb
W9 100 Mb

Old January 19th 04, 09:07 PM
CeeBee

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old January 20th 04, 12:39 AM
CeeBee

EZoto wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

I don't understand. I am using Dos with Win 3.11. I don't have a
display window like it says when using 95 and up. Actually I am using
Dos 7.1. with WFW 3.11 and 256meg ram.

That makes it even _more_ simple. You don't have a disadvantage, you
actually have an advantage. All you have to do is add the switch to the
command line.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old January 20th 04, 03:08 AM
Kerry Liles

Those values seem to be slightly different than those shown in the file
manual.usa (which is a text file slightly formatted it seems)... eg: W9
apparently means "400MB - best value for a PC with 512MB and up"

?

But THANKS for the hint about command line options...!

. 6.67...

Old January 20th 04, 04:59 AM
Chuck in Minot

Thanks, the old Rebel beat the pure living dog crap out of me, and this one
just adds insult to injury, rubs salt into my wounds, and makes me want
trade my chess equipment in for a few decks of UNO cards. Ughhh, it just
makes pieces of me.. I do fine till about the mid game, and then the damn
thing just opens up a can of grade AA WUP ASS on me, and pieces start
flying off the board, and the next thing I know I'm checkmated, and
wondering what the hell happened. I cry a few tears, and then come back for
more. God I love chess, and I'm a glutton for punishment as well. It just
doesn't get any better than this, and I'm also thankful that its free, and
its as powerful as a whole case of Ex-Lax. I'd sure love to see old Kaspy
play Rebel one a powerful machine. IT sure would be interesting. Excuse me
while I set up my boards again, and take on REBEL and take some more abuse.

u...

Old January 20th 04, 04:21 PM
CeeBee

"Kerry Liles" wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

Those values seem to be slightly different than those shown in the
file manual.usa (which is a text file slightly formatted it seems)...
eg: W9 apparently means "400MB - best value for a PC with 512MB and
up"

?

But THANKS for the hint about command line options...!

Oops, what I meant could well be the stone old switches for Rebel 10.
Forget about them, sorry for the confusion.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old January 20th 04, 04:42 PM
EZoto

On 20 Jan 2004 00:39:51 GMT, CeeBee
wrote:

I did it but now I get the error: File allocation table error. When I
went back to 4 meg then it worked fine. Probably rebel even though it
sees dos will react if I have win95 or not.

Old January 20th 04, 10:56 PM
CeeBee

wrote:

I did it but now I get the error: File allocation table error. When I
went back to 4 meg then it worked fine. Probably rebel even though it
sees dos will react if I have win95 or not.

My summary was wrong. The values are not corresponding with the switches
as stated in my list. It might be that you get unexpected errors because
you without knowing set the hashtable too big, maybe bigger than your
physical RAM.

I hope this one's better:

REBEL W1 limit the hash table to 512 kb
REBEL W2 limit the hash table to 4 Mb