Old January 19th 04, 07:20 PM
Grahame Booth

Default Playing Chess Engines Against One Another

I am totally new to the concept of playing different programs against
one another, so am looking for some tips.

I own Chessmaster9000 which has the capability of importing other
chess engines as a profile and then play Chessmaster against the other
engines. Last night I setup a game between Chessmaster and
Crafty19.08.

Since this has caught my interest, is there some guidelines on how
this should be done. I would like to play a number of engines against
one another in a tournament like format. Should I have two computers
and the engines be on separate machines? Going through Chessmaster, is
this the best way to do it? I know of Winboard and believe this is how
Chessmaster plays the other engines.

Grahame Booth
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Old January 19th 04, 11:54 PM
Simon Waters

Grahame Booth wrote:

Since this has caught my interest, is there some guidelines on how
this should be done. I would like to play a number of engines against
one another in a tournament like format. Should I have two computers
and the engines be on separate machines?

Just read the archive here for what has been said in the past.

It is extremely difficult to establish fair playing conditions on one
machine in terms of allocating memory, CPU, and harder to measure
aspects like fair use of CPU cache, effect of context switching if
programs start multiple threads (even if idle) etc etc.

Thus for fair comparisions use two identical machines, install the
programs to play one on each, and use a third machine as a chess server.

In the absence of two identical machines you could of course alternate
which engine is on which machine (over and above alternating colour of
course).

This kind of comparision is clearly fair, allows engines that can to
think in the opponents time and the like. Although often quite
substantial hardware differences are less important than you might
expect, and you can often establish easily if one engine is
substantially stroger than another just by setting it a list of known
problems.

Old January 20th 04, 12:15 AM
Geoff

Hi

I own CM9000 which is an excellent program, but for playing chess engines
against each other I much prefer to use Chess Arena, it is nice and simple
to setup tournaments with just a few clicks and no tricky syntax to remember
as used by Winboard. Additionally, the latest version has Swiss, Gauntlet
and Round Robin tournament options, and can output result in HTML format.
Also the price is good, Free:-)

If you want to try it the URL is below

http://www.playwitharena.com/

Regards Geoff

om...

Old January 20th 04, 10:07 PM
Grahame Booth

Geoff,

Did not know about Chess Arena. Brilliant. Thank you. Way better than
the darn syntax for WinBoard.

Grahame

Old January 25th 04, 10:34 PM
Josť de Paula

Em Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:52:40 -0800, n o s p a m p l e a s e escreveu:

Chess Arena is getting hanged on win98 quite frequently. I don't know
what to do. Any guess!

The answer I have doesn't belong to here, but rather to
comp.os.linux.advocacy... so better stay quiet...

--
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur