Old January 20th 04, 05:02 AM
news1.adelphia.net

Default Cluster Chess Thoughts

Hello Group!

I've been working on a chess engine for a CS course in advanced AI and OS
techniques. I've learned a lot from Dr. Hyatt's brilliant chess engine
regarding bitboards.

I would like to know if anyone can give some suggestions for thought for
developing a chess engine like crafty to work in a clustered environment.

If I had 10 PCs for research which ran at 200MHz, 128MB RAM and a shared
drive for the book openings. What thoughts and/or suggestions could anyone
offer to cluster an engine like crafty? How would some of you experts use
such an environment such that to build a stonger search engine?

I would like to hear some thoughts for me to consider and then hopefully
develop a chess cluster for experiment.

I am hoping that some people have thought about dividing up the work to best
use a cluster.

In my opinion a cluster may not be too helpful in searching the search
space. Most of the other PCs will be wasting time due to the AB and
heuristics. However sharing learned info and distributing that info may be
helpful. Analyzing the book to determine where the chess engine fails to
solve or continue a chess line may be helpful such that line will never be
used in a game or perhaps will be used.

I would appreciate any thoughts regarding building a chess cluster using
independent memory(not shared) etc will be quite helpful.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Jackie

Old January 20th 04, 05:23 AM
Simon

I would appreciate any thoughts regarding building a chess cluster using
independent memory(not shared) etc will be quite helpful.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Jackie

Hi Jackie,

You have probably seen this link, but in case you haven't:

http://www.chessbrain.net/

I think the first game is scheduled for the end of this month.

Simon