Old January 21st 04, 11:32 AM
José de Paula

Default FICS timeseal source

Are the FICS timeseal sources anywhere to be found? I can only find the
binaries on ftp.fics.org.

--
Emacs is a great operating system---it lacks a good editor, though.

Old January 21st 04, 12:02 PM
David Richerby

=?iso-8859-1?q?Jos=E9_de_Paula?= wrote:
Are the FICS timeseal sources anywhere to be found? I can only find the
binaries on ftp.fics.org.

I think only the binaries are available. If the source were available, it
would be trivial to patch them to produce a timeseal that lied.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Edible Surprise Soap (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ personal hygiene product but not like
Old January 21st 04, 06:42 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:32:04 -0200, José de Paula
wrote:

Are the FICS timeseal sources anywhere to be found? I can only find the
binaries on ftp.fics.org.

No, they won't release them for fear of reverse engineering and
rampant time cheating.

Tom Veldhouse
Old January 21st 04, 10:52 PM
José de Paula

wrote:

Are the FICS timeseal sources anywhere to be found? I can only find the
binaries on ftp.fics.org.

No, they won't release them for fear of reverse engineering and
rampant time cheating.

Oh well... I thought there were some kind of verification on the server
(MD5 or the like). I just wanted to compile it under FreeBSD, but that's
offtopic here. And, as for reverse engineering, one could reverse-engineer
the existing binaries... But thanks, anyway. Just thought the sources were
available.

--
Emacs is a great operating system---it lacks a good editor, though.

Old January 22nd 04, 07:34 AM
Anders Carlsson

starwars writes:

Or just tcpdump the communication with FICS like I did. Wasn't too
hard. I spent a Sat. hacking it, then building my own timeseal from
scratch, which I will confess has some interesting features

Most people are too clueless or lazy to do that, which prevents a
large part of the tampering which could occur. But yes, it is
probably not rocket science to reimplement out of behavior analysis.

--
Anders Carlsson

Old January 22nd 04, 12:33 PM
David Richerby

José de Paula wrote:
Are the FICS timeseal sources anywhere to be found? I can only find
the binaries on ftp.fics.org.

No, they won't release them for fear of reverse engineering and
rampant time cheating.

Oh well... I thought there were some kind of verification on the server
(MD5 or the like).

You can't do that without having a key (server sends a challenge; client
sends the answer, encrypted). That key must be in the source of the
software -- it can't be downloaded from the server because there's no way
to prove that you're the real client without using crypto and that means
you need a key and...

However, somebody later in the thread is claiming that they've reverse-
engineered timeseal by watching the packets go past so it seems they're
not using any crypto at all.

I just wanted to compile it under FreeBSD, but that's offtopic
here.

Can FreeBSD not run Linux binaries? I've a feeling timeseal is staticly
linked so there shouldn't be any library issues.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Mouldy Cat (TM): it's like a cat but
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's starting to grow mushrooms!
Old January 22nd 04, 01:31 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

wrote:

Are the FICS timeseal sources anywhere to be found? I can only find the
binaries on ftp.fics.org.

No, they won't release them for fear of reverse engineering and
rampant time cheating.

Oh well... I thought there were some kind of verification on the server
(MD5 or the like). I just wanted to compile it under FreeBSD, but that's
offtopic here. And, as for reverse engineering, one could reverse-engineer
the existing binaries... But thanks, anyway. Just thought the sources were
available.

I asked the same question a couple of years ago. They need to come up
with a better method to stop cheating and allow the source to be
available. Hmm ... I think a new software project might be in order.

Tom Veldhouse
Old January 22nd 04, 01:36 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

On 22 Jan 2004 12:33:14 +0000 (GMT), David Richerby
wrote:

Can FreeBSD not run Linux binaries? I've a feeling timeseal is staticly
linked so there shouldn't be any library issues.

Yes ... and I believe timeseal will likely run fine on it. However,
it is an ugly solution and requires a significant linux library
download and installation.

Tom Veldhouse
Old January 22nd 04, 01:49 PM
Anders Carlsson

Thomas T. Veldhouse writes:

Hmm ... I think a new software project might be in order.

Isn't there a FICS server replacement under development, or
are those only alternative chess servers softwares?

--
Anders Carlsson
Old January 22nd 04, 02:13 PM
David Richerby

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:52:24 -0200, José de Paula wrote:
Oh well... I thought there were some kind of verification on the server
(MD5 or the like). I just wanted to compile it under FreeBSD, but
that's offtopic here. And, as for reverse engineering, one could
reverse-engineer the existing binaries... But thanks, anyway. Just
thought the sources were available.

I asked the same question a couple of years ago. They need to come
up with a better method to stop cheating and allow the source to be
available. Hmm ... I think a new software project might be in order.

See my followup to the same post. What you're asking for isn't possible.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Aquatic Moistened Peanut (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a roasted nut but it's moist and