Old January 25th 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default What's on your Chessbase Configuration?

I have picked up an old Dell computer with 15 gigs of drive space which will
now house all of my chess related software.
I have Chessbase and Fritz and have played around with a couple of the Fritz
trainer instructional programs with the video tutor feature.
A quick check of the shopping sections on the Chessbase website has me
curious? How useful are all of the available add ons now available? Aside
from the obvious cost limits, if you were going to fill up 15 gigs of space,
what would your top selections be?
Megadatabase, Powerbook, Opening Encyclopedia, Fritztrainers, Middlegames,
Endgames? Where would I get the most bang for my buck?
I don't play much OTB anymore, but I had a middle of the road Class A USCF
rating during my college days.
I figure with all this new computer assisted learning, I could re-emerge on
the weekend Swiss tourney scene and shock and awe my old chess buddies!

Where should I start?

Old January 25th 07, 11:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

deckerd123 wrote:
I figure with all this new computer assisted learning, I could
re-emerge on the weekend Swiss tourney scene and shock and awe my
old chess buddies!

I can't help with your ChessBase questions but I feel I ought to point
out that `shock and awe' didn't really work all that well and might
just get you into an interminable argument with the other competitors,
while the arbiter makes occasional disparaging comments about your
failure to play by the rules. ;-)

Dave.

--
David Richerby Confusing Carnivorous Toy (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a fun child's toy but it eats