Old January 21st 04, 09:46 PM
Gregory Topov

Default Chessmaster 9000 - The King a CPU hog?

I find that whenever I am in the "Game Room" part of Chessmaster 9000, "The
King" engine hogs all my CPU. (in WinXP I can monitor this using the
"Processes" tab of Windows Task Manager). If I'm in any other part of
Chessmaster (unless playing a game of course), this doesn't happen. It's
understandable that it would do this if it's analyzing a game, but why
should the engine hog the CPU if I'm just in the Game Room not even playing
or analyzing a game? It's particularly annoying, for instance, if I'm just
playing through a game in the game room without analyzing it. Is there a
way around this? Any reason for this peculiar behaviour? Just going into
the game room seems to be reason for the engine to fire up and go full tilt,
even if it's just a board at starting position.
--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old January 22nd 04, 03:18 AM
John Merlino

"Gregory Topov" wrote in message ...
I find that whenever I am in the "Game Room" part of Chessmaster 9000, "The
King" engine hogs all my CPU. (in WinXP I can monitor this using the
"Processes" tab of Windows Task Manager). If I'm in any other part of
Chessmaster (unless playing a game of course), this doesn't happen. It's
understandable that it would do this if it's analyzing a game, but why
should the engine hog the CPU if I'm just in the Game Room not even playing
or analyzing a game? It's particularly annoying, for instance, if I'm just
playing through a game in the game room without analyzing it. Is there a
way around this? Any reason for this peculiar behaviour? Just going into
the game room seems to be reason for the engine to fire up and go full tilt,
even if it's just a board at starting position.

There is only one reason that this could be happening, assuming that
you do not have one of the players in the current game being "played"
by a computer opponent. You probably have the "Mentor Lines" window
open. This windows DOES start an engine which performs "infinite
analysis" of the current position. You can toggle this window by
pressing CTRL+M. There is also a portion of the status bar, in the
bottom right, which tells you the status of the 'mentor' engine
(analyzing, commenting, solving for mate, etc.)....

You should read item #1 in the "Late Breaking Changes to the
Documentation" portion of the ReadMe file to see more about the Mentor
Lines window.

jm
Old January 22nd 04, 03:53 AM
Gregory Topov

As always, John M provides a helpful post and the correct answer!
From the "Mentor" menu, I had both "Mentor Lines" and "Blunder Alert"
selected. Both of these caused the engine to fire up, even when I wasn't
analyzing or playing a game. Turning off *both* solved the problem. Thanks
very kindly for your explanation John, it's much appreciated! Thank you
very much!
--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

om...

Old January 27th 04, 02:05 PM
Scott Roper

"Gregory Topov" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

At least it's not like the previous versions which seemed to use 100% of the
CPU resources no matter what you were doing.

-Scott Roper