Old January 26th 07, 08:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Rated PC-chess playing against other Chess Engines ?

I'm not a good chess player myself, due to a lack of concentration.
It is a real psychical deviation and a handicap for match-playing.
But I do like the game, and like seeing chess matches between
persons/persons, computers/computers, or persons/computers.

Just like horse-owners who have their champs in championships,
i would like to play with my PC-chess-computer RATED games
against other computers (or humans if they want, but not likely).

Right, I can login with Freechess.org, but only as a guest for
non-rated games, or have to beg for a special computer-account
with many restrictions. I am not a programmer, but work on my
own books for openings en endgames and want to try them out.

Is there a Special Computer Chess Server for RATED games?
Or maybe this is an idea for someone who wants to run sutch.
He may do it commercial. I think many people would love this.

I am running ChessPartner 5.4 / Chess Tiger 2007 on an
Athlon 64-3800 (single core), ECS-KV2, 2 GB ram.

BottleGhost

Old January 26th 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

BottleGhost wrote:
Right, I can login with Freechess.org, but only as a guest for
non-rated games, or have to beg for a special computer-account
with many restrictions.

You don't have to `beg for a special computer-account with many
restrictions'; you just need to ask for a computer account.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Pickled Surprise Atlas (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a map of the world but not like you'd
Old January 26th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"David Richerby" schreef in bericht
BottleGhost wrote:
Right, I can login with Freechess.org, but only as a guest for
non-rated games, or have to beg for a special computer-account
with many restrictions.

You don't have to `beg for a special computer-account with many
restrictions'; you just need to ask for a computer account.

Dave.

If you want to have a computer account, please send an email to
with ALL of the following info (please

use this as a form):

Full name:
FICS Handle:
Requested Handle: (must be available)
Engine name:
Programmer:
Hardwa
Softwa
Variant supported:
Manual or Automatic operation:
Login times:
Estimated rating:
Main time control and variant:
Reason for having a computer account:

In order to be considered for a computer account you need to fulfill the
following requirements:

A history without abuse on FICS. Minor incidents does not disqualify

- Knowledge about FICS commands and policies.
- Member of FICS for at least 3 months.
- A minimum of 10 days online.

Exceptions to the requirements mentioned above can be made under certain
circumstances.
Be sure to read the "computers" help file for the guidelines of a computer
account. Be advised that the decision taken by the computer committee is
final and without appeal.

Here is the basis upon which computer accounts are granted:

- Priority is given to those who can play variants.
- Priority is given to automatic computers (not need of an operator.)
- Priority is given to those who have had an account here for some time.
- Priority is given to those which are built from home grown code and
operated by the programmer.

Of course, the main criteria in deciding on which computer accounts are
allowed is the current demand.

See Also: computers
[Last modified: January 4th, 2007 -- Computers]

computers
---------
Computers may register and play rated chess matches. However, computers
playing rated games are required to be registered so that users can know
whether they are playing against humans or computers. Being connected with
a computer on an account not registered as a computer is considered to be
abusive behavior and will result in sanctions. This does not apply to guest
accounts, which can freely be used to test computers.

For information about how to register a computer, read "help computer_app".

To see a list of computers registered on the server, type "=computer".
Details about these accounts are given in "help computerlist". Computers
are designated on "who" lists by (C).

Special Notes:

(a) Server admins reserve the right to limit the number of computer accounts
registered on the server and may seek to ensure a wide range of playing
strength of these accounts. Once an application is granted, you may not
change the terms of the granted account without re-applying with the new
parameters. You may not change engine, play new time controls or variants
that were not approved, nor make changes that would significantly alter
the engine's strenght. When in doubt, contact Computers.

(b) Computer accounts that want to be open for challenges for variants need
to set the appropriate i-variable on login. For example, "iset suicide 1"
will allow a computer to accept suicide requests for the duration of its
login. To list all possible i-variables, type "ivars user". Certain wild
setups are acceptable by default. For wild/fr, the fr i-variable needs to be
on. For wild setups that allow castling other than the usual e1-g1/e1-c1,
the wildcastle i-variable needs to be on. Keep in mind i-variables are reset
each login.

(c) Computer accounts may only play in mamer tournaments that are explicity
announced to be open to computers when the tournament is opened. Joining a
tourney with a computer account when it was not authorized may result in an
immediate ban from tourneys. Joining a tournament with an authorized
computer account can also result in a tournament ban. Joining a tournament
without complying first with rule (a) and (e) will result in an instant
forfeiture, as well as other possible tournament sanctions.

(d) If computer account is not used for more than 6 months it may be removed
WITHOUT any warning. We want the computers on the server to be active.

(e) Computers should always keep information about hardware/software in
finger notes. This must include (at a minimum): the handle of the owner of
the computer account, the type of machine it is being run on, and the name
of the engine that is being used on the account. Providing this information
is mandatory, and not having it in your computer's finger notes may result
in a loss of the account.

(f) Rated games between a computer account and its operator or an other
computer (or any other) account owned by the same operator are NOT
allowed. Play your computer unrated only if you want to test it. The same
applies in bughouse with your computer as partner. The only except to this
rule is if the games occur within a mamer tournament.

(g) Abuse of any kind by either the owner or the computer account itself may
result in the removal of the account in addition to other sanctions. Using
a computer account to get around any sanction on your human account will
result the banning of the computer account. The use of an extra account is
a priviledge that may be denied to any abusive user. Computer account
applications may be denied indefinitely on the basis of abuse by the human
account, even if there is no current sanction applied to it.

See Also: computer_app
[Last modified: January 14th, 2007 -- Computers]

Old January 26th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

BottleGhost wrote:
"David Richerby" schreef:
You don't have to `beg for a special computer-account with many
restrictions'; you just need to ask for a computer account.

[Big pile of quotes from FICS]

I see no reference to `begging' in those documents, though I admit to
having only skimmed them. The requirements seem entirely reasonable
to me. Which part is causing problems?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Crystal Miniature Umbrella (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like an umbrella but you can hold