Old January 23rd 04, 04:58 AM
Tony Brown

Default Software question

All,

I am returning to USCF competition and I memorize opening variations,
despite the argument to stray away from this. My question is: is there a
software/freeware/experimental_program available that will aide me in
memorizing lines? It does not have to play chess, all it needs to do is
hold a variation that I name, and make the moves of the variation as I
advance the moves ... and of course allow me to pull up these variations at
will.

I have CM8K and can do this in a round-about-way but because its
round-about, I save no time over writing the variations on paper. I also
have Fritz, but just cracked it open and haven't found anyway to do this.

TIA,
Tony

Old January 23rd 04, 07:49 AM
Terry

"Tony Brown" wrote in message
All,

I am returning to USCF competition and I memorize opening variations,
despite the argument to stray away from this. My question is: is there a
software/freeware/experimental_program available that will aide me in
memorizing lines? It does not have to play chess, all it needs to do is
hold a variation that I name, and make the moves of the variation as I
advance the moves ... and of course allow me to pull up these variations

at
will.

I have CM8K and can do this in a round-about-way but because its
round-about, I save no time over writing the variations on paper. I also
have Fritz, but just cracked it open and haven't found anyway to do this.

TIA,
Tony

Do yourself a favour and dont bother.

Regards

Old January 23rd 04, 07:51 AM
HD

Tony Brown skrev:
All,

I am returning to USCF competition and I memorize opening variations,
despite the argument to stray away from this. My question is: is there a
software/freeware/experimental_program available that will aide me in
memorizing lines? It does not have to play chess, all it needs to do is
hold a variation that I name, and make the moves of the variation as I
advance the moves ... and of course allow me to pull up these variations at
will.

I have CM8K and can do this in a round-about-way but because its
round-about, I save no time over writing the variations on paper. I also
have Fritz, but just cracked it open and haven't found anyway to do this.

TIA,
Tony

In Fritz theres at least a couple of different approaches:

1. You can save each variation as a single game with a name you choose
in one database, and the go through each manually (using left and right
arrow), or automatically (using * for replay). Next game (variation) is
reached with F10.
2. This is probably more like what you want: To deactivate the engine
you should use either the infinite analysis (looking glass somewhere at
the upper right) or "Switch off main engine" in the engine pane.
Put all variations into one game and save it.
You can enter moves manually or by merging games from a database. Then
you have your repertoiregame, and you can now add your titles to the
variations. This can be done by selecting the annotation palette in the
view pane, and in the beginning of each variation you choose the "text
before move" buttom. Write the name and press ok.
Remember to replace/save it when you're done!
Navigate in the game with the keyboard arrows.
There's other features that can be usefull in the process, however this
should be a good start.

HD

Old January 23rd 04, 12:53 PM
Mikko Nummelin

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Tony Brown wrote:

All,

I am returning to USCF competition and I memorize opening variations,
despite the argument to stray away from this. My question is: is there a
software/freeware/experimental_program available that will aide me in
memorizing lines? It does not have to play chess, all it needs to do is
hold a variation that I name, and make the moves of the variation as I
advance the moves ... and of course allow me to pull up these variations at
will.

I have CM8K and can do this in a round-about-way but because its
round-about, I save no time over writing the variations on paper. I also
have Fritz, but just cracked it open and haven't found anyway to do this.

I think that Scid, which is a free and open source chess database
application is just what you are seeking. It is available from

http://scid.sourceforge.net/

It is possible to build game databases, large and small from PGN files
with pgnscid-utility, which comes with the package. Game databases can
be used in various ways, looking for statistics of how good certain
opening moves have proven to be in master-level games, even merging
complete games into your games' pgn output. It also supports all
Winboard-engines like Crafty for thoroughly analyzing games. For
memorizing and learning variations there is Repertoire editor where you
can set up lines you prefer to play as include lines and
optionally even variations of that line you do not prefer to play as
exclude lines. See

http://scid.sourceforge.net/help/Contents.html

, especially

http://scid.sourceforge.net/help/Repertoire.html

for additional details.

Mikko Nummelin
Old January 23rd 04, 04:51 PM
Mike Ogush

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 07:49:18 -0000, "Terry"
wrote:

"Tony Brown" wrote in message
[...]

You may want to look at BookUp. It will do what you requested. I have
the Profession version of BookUp, which currently costs $199. There
is a cheaper version (BookUpP express) that costs $29 and a
free-version BookUp-lite. I am not sure that free version will do
what you want, but I think the express version will. Check with Mike
Leahy (the author of BookUp) or the web site (www.bookup.com).

You can enter a full tree of variations into a BookUp database. Then
by going into training mode you can have the computer play one side
and you play the other side. Whenever you make a move that is not in
the list of candidates, BookUp will display a message "Not a
candidate!". If the move played is a candidate, then it is just made
on the board and the computer replies with a move from among its
candidates. There is also some ability to constrain which candidate
the computer will play.

Also, there is a product called BookBuilder that will do the same
thing and is less expensive that the full version of BookUp, but I
have never gotten the trial version of the product to fully work.

Mike Ogush

Old January 24th 04, 06:37 AM
Tony Brown

Mike,

This was very helpful.

Thank you.
Tony

Old January 24th 04, 06:39 AM
Tony Brown

Thank you all for your replies.

I will investigate the software(s) that you suggested.

Tony