Old January 27th 07, 09:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Help with Two Computer Matches on LAN

Hello all, I have a problem all the way from Fritz 8. I would like to
have two PCs play chess on my lan. I have a working lan and working
Fritz installations (Fritz10 is patched with gui10.msi).

The problem is, it never works. Assuming I've tried almost everything,
and assuming all the protocols and services and firewalls are in place
and properly configured, wtf? I mean, it's Windows XP, SP2, and all
network resources are visible and accessible.

I've followed the instructions: enter (or leave) the "." in the IP box
for the host, and then type in on the client/slave PC, the IP of the
host. Then awaiting connection, them a time out, always.

Before you helpful folk ask me if I checked this or that, let me just
write out some things that might help. Also, does anyone have FIRSTHAND
experience getting auto player to work over the LAN? How about with a
null modem cable? This isn't rocket science, nor is it complex, what is
the secret?

specs:

1) Two PCs with identical 1G intel nics, connected to a 1G switch (NOT a
router.)
2) Each PC gets its IP from a DHCP server
3) TCP/IP and MSFT TCP/IP Version 6
4) NW IPX/SPX and File and Printer Sharing
5) HOSTS file
6) Admin privileges

I will try to assign a local IP to each PC (thereby disabling internet
access) and see what happens, but I've done that in Fritz 8 and 9 as
well. I would really like to get this working. I also refuse to accept
it not working for the third version of software! help!